Thread to talk about drinking

:tropical_drink:

Gin + mango!!!

Vodka lemonade

:beer:

Good wines and good friends earlier.

Now sitting in an RV Park with same friends. Drinking Modelo. Not best, but it’s the best of what was offered.

You don’t have a rimmer?

I think we have something that looks like this:

Protip for the fall:

Get a fall beer. Pumpkin beers work well. Or many of the ‘Oktoberfest’ labeled brews.

Put cinnamon sugar in the rimmer and apply to a pint glass. Add the beer.

It’s Autumn in a glass!

Nah, I don’t have a fancy contraption like that.

How do you clean out the lime juice part while the sugar & salt are in it?

That might be good with hard apple cider too.

I don’t think it’s meant to be a storage container. We clean it out after each use. (Meaning at the end of the night, not after each time someone uses it…)

Gotcha. Sounds like more work than the way I do it. I have salt in a container that is a storage container and then I just put some lime juice on my new dedicated-for-salting-margarita-glasses sponge, run it over the rim, then the glass through the salt, done. The salt never transfers from one container to another. It just lives in the container that I stick the moistened glass rim in.

At the end of the night I put the lid on the salt and rinse out the sponge. Done.

I pretty much never make drinks that have a sugared rim at home. I will occasionally order a Cosmopolitan if I’m out but I don’t make them at home. Not because I can’t, but because if I’m home there’s usually something else I’d rather have.

I suppose that if I were having a big party and serving lots of drinks with sugared or salted rims then I might buy that contraption. But for the occasional margarita my method is fine.

Maybe if I have a big post-Covid party…

The one I posted is only like $10. Should be part of any home bar set up.

This

1 Like

It’s not the $10… it’s the hassle and the storage.

1 Like

I had 3-4 Sierra Nevada Big Little Thing IPAs (9%) on Friday night, and half a bottle of red wine (with steak) Saturday night - and then spent much of last night crying about not being told I’m beautiful when I’m not wearing makeup enough.

Drinking may not exactly be for me.

folds up nicely.

we are gonna use ours tonight. Wife just told me picked up some pumpkin beer for tonite.

Woo hoo!

I would still have a headache from the IPAs. Damn. I can have one. Not two. Not 3-4. And that’s regular IPAs in the 6ish range. 9% would have killed me at that volume

I would think that if you don’t expect to use it at least once a month or so, it’s not worth the hassle of ownership.

If you entertain, it’s worth it. I wouldn’t put out a jar of salt/sugar and a sponge for my guests.

To me the “is it worth the hassle” would be measured more by the average number of salted/sugared rims per use. Like suppose:

Rimmer:
Set up: 2 minutes
Rim glass: 30 seconds
Clean up: 10 minutes

Sponge / dedicated salt container:
Set up: 1 minute
Rim glass: 1 minute
Clean up: 1 minute

If those number are accurate you’d need to rim more than 20 glasses each night you used it before the rimmer is a time saver.

Now maybe those numbers aren’t quite right, but whatever the right numbers are, there’s a break even point that I suspect I do not exceed. Like, even if I already owned it, it wouldn’t be worthwhile to actually use it.

And then there’s the storage issue.

Nah, I’d do it for them. In either case, probably.