Thread to discuss when the police kill a civilian

I think i read she was a sloght, 5’1" 15 year old girl.
I have no idea why the trigger happy cops just shoot anything that moves.

Well, i guess i know.

I’m afraid to watch the video.

The video in the link is a cop briefing the press. It’s not visually gruesome.

The cop’s version is that the father / suspect had been shooting at the cops for miles, a second police car joined the pursuit and was also shot at and I think the second vehicle was disabled, and then more cops joined by the time they all stopped.

When they stopped a “subject in tactical gear” got out of the front passenger seat and in the firefight both the subject and the suspect were hit and the firefight stopped and the cops rushed in to render medical assistance.

They learned after the firing stopped that the subject in tactical gear was the teenage girl who was the subject of the Amber Alert. They claim they don’t yet know whose bullets hit her, but it seems unlikely (to me) it was the father / suspect. I assume forensics will be able to answer that definitively at some point.

1 Like

Probably belongs in the gun violence in America thread too, since there is nothing more American than a pickup-truck chase shootout with lots of handguns and rifles and a teen girl in tactical gear.

Sadly yes.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this or not.

Citizen receives award for being good Samaritan and saving someone’s life. After receiving the award, he takes off his sweatshirt, exposing a shirt that says “Smash White Supremacy” and then uses his acceptance speech to complain about all the cops(9 cars) that ignored him when he was asking for help, trying to save someone’s life. He comments that cops do not make him feel safe, as they ignore him when he needs clearly nees help.

https://twitter.com/HeadlinerClip/status/1581361479760384000?t=xCVXaZu0wAWVuqzVORSoqg&s=19

saw that clip. dude was prepared and steady in the delivery. he mentioned (in slight defense of the 9 cars that drove past) that they were still likely concerned with an active shooter situation. but yea. and the chief (or whoever) handled it pretty well too.

1 Like

One county over. Unreal.

The article states that he was fired for violating use of force procedures. He didn’t activate his camera. He was cleared of everything else procedurally and not charged with any crimes.

The cops who screwed up this case were the ones who got the warrant. They got prosecuted appropriately and/or had their law enforcement certifications revoked. The entry team was told they were going after a violent felon and came under fire upon entry.

Also not a neighboring county, but still close.

1 Like

That was a long time ago, but my recollection is that both the resident and the police officer were acting totally reasonably in shooting each other, and the underlying problem was that a “no knock” warrant was issued at all, made worse by being for the wrong address.

Well, that and that both police and citizens in the US are routinely armed with guns.

Moved

Blind guessing without having looked into the context - Black boy around 11 years old holding a toy gun in his fenced-in backyard? Because I remember that video, I take longer to get out of the car than they did exiting and shooting him dead. Okay, going in now…

Nope! Different one. Should have been clued in by the mother who wasn’t shot in the one I was thinking of.

Sometimes police face consequences for behaving badly.

First thought: “Wow, most of those charged are held on bail instead of paid administrative leave, I can’t believe it.”

Second thought: “Oh, 45% of Antioch’s police force is on paid administrative leave for their racist texts.”

The guy taking the exams impersonated four men (one with a beard) and two women. That’s impressive.

1 Like

Leonard Allan Cure, freed after wrongful conviction, shot dead in traffic stop : NPR

[sarc] Probably would have been safer in prison. [/sarc]

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/i-cant-breathe-black-man-ohio-tells-police-before-he-died-video-shows-2024-04-26/

Just in time for a summer of protests.