There's No Place Like Home

The bonus room over the garage has doors now - the perfect space for dogs, or like, 1000 foster kittens.

1 Like

Congratulations! New houses are always exciting!

2 Likes

I would think that a house that fits on a shelf would be quite small.

Either that or the shelf is gigantic.

But if they are flying off either type of shelf, it means the houses were not secured very well.

1 Like

Unless she bought a flying house.

In which case, it probably shouldn’t be on a shelf.

Or, it’s sitting on a really big shelf.

Whenever I see a house fly I try to swat it

:unamused:

Inspection is in - our issues include 2 instances of fixture caulking, and a light bulb out in the microwave.

What is light fixture caulking?

Solid question. Clearly the fixture is plumbing related and not electrical. I are the dumb.

So that’s not likely a big deal unless water has gotten somewhere it shouldn’t, in which case you’d probably have mold or rot. Most likely you just need to remove the old caulking and re-caulk around the fixtures, I suppose.

For some reason I thought you were in the GTA. Housing there is insane. Like 30-40 offers the next day type of insane.

So I convinced the SO to live in the country, she agreed to try it for a few years. Bought a house, couldn’t sell our house so we rented it. Some years later the SO decides they’re not taking to the country, so up goes the for sale sign and we move back in to town. Had a look around, decide we still like the town we left, still like the area we moved from the best and…still liked our old house the best. So when the renters moved out, we moved back in. Except the renters had trashed the place. I’m talking animal urine staining the floorboards, trim wrecked, orange nicotine running down the bathroom walls.
So in the past 2 years I’ve put on a new deck outside. Pulled up every bit of carpeting in the house. Primed and painted every wall and ceiling. installed new interior doors throughout. put down new hardwood in my office. To-the-2X4’s reno’ed the two bathrooms, including pulling out tubs and showers and vanities and reinstalling new tubs/tiles/showers etc. New LED lights throughout. And resurfaced/smoothed the ceilings (to get rid of the late 90’s texture). Finished the basement for my son to have his own ‘suite’. And finally on the main floor I knocked out all the walls, moved the kitchen into the rooms that were the living/dining room, and moved the dining room into what used to be the kitchen. It’s breathtaking when you walk in, the kitchen is huge and the dining room has a 9 foot table that seats 12+. Did a lot of the work myself. And now, everything is done and updated, I figure I can maybe get back to work.

Then my sister decides that they need a new bathroom. They live in poor, rural canada so it’s a bit different (you’d probably be surprised if I told you how they live, and it’s not uncommon back there). This summer I get tasked with taking over a week off work to drive down and do their bathroom by myself. Again, right to the 2X4’s and fixing a lot of rotten structure. I finished that and swore that was the last bathroom I was going to do. Got to spend a week with my sister and my mother so that was outstanding, but still, no more bathroom renos.

Then my son complains the shower stall in his bathroom is too small. So my SO decides also she doesn’t like cleaning the brand new shower stall I installed a year ago. So looks like my christmas project is tearing out an almost new shower stall, building a shower stall structure/sealing it/tiling it so my son has a walk-in tile shower. And because it’s too small? More like ‘too small to fit him and his GF in at the same time’ too small probably.

In other news, I should probably be studying instead of writing essays.

Well I was, so good memory.

Congrats!

:laughing:

Speaking of bathroom upgrades, you’re more than welcome to come stay at my house for a week…

2 Likes

Radon levels at 1.6 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. I don’t care for this radon stuff. And I’m not familiar with this test being done in Canada.

Appraisal is in @ 5 k below sale price. We’re happy with that (but it blew my teammate’s mind that it wasn’t appraised at the sale price). Solar panels didn’t factor in the estimate.

I’m amazed it came in that close. The appraiser is basically just taking a guess at the market price based on other similar houses.

I don’t know if this happens in every State or whatever (I certainly didn’t see it in Canada), but the loan cannot be more than the appraisal value, so you have to pay the difference out of pocket. Hence why the appraisal “should” come in close.

Get ready for “Tiffany goes full OCD over matching existing furniture with new house & newly acquired furniture”.

Exhibit A : Current living room color pallet

Exhibit B: Future living room color pallet