The MLS Soccer Thread

2 more are out: Hailstorm beats Real Salt Lake, and San Antonio knocks out Austin.

I was pulling for San Antonio, as it seemed for a while that they had the inside track on an expansion MLS team. Then Precourt pulled his nonsense and essentially jumped Austin to the front of the line, likely permanently shutting San Antonio out.

1 Like

Draw for next round is at 11 CDT today

The 32 teams were put into 8 four team regional groups that can be found here →

There are some highly gerrymandered groups btw. US Soccer made a “rule” that the 8 MLS teams entering this round had to each be in a separate group. So no Seattle and Portland in the same group. And Philly goes with 3 FL teams instead of Atlanta.

I really want a MN United vs Union Omaha.

1 Like

Northern Colorado Hailstorm FC is my new favorite club.

Jerseys feature falling hail on the side and sponsored by New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA.

Also from first hand experience being in a hail storm on the Front Range in Colorado is no f’n joke.

1 Like

Nashville was also one of the 8 teams so Philly couldn’t have gone in the South Region either instead of ATL. With PHL, NYC, and NE all being in the 8, seems like they decided to let NYC stay home and head up that region. PHL and NE get shipped off to other regions.

Round of 32 matchups (will re-draw after this round). I set the O/U of non-MLS teams advancing at 4.5.

8 MLS v MLS
NE Revs v Cincinnati
MN United v Co Rapids
DC United v NYRB
Sounders v Quakes
Nashville v Atlanta
SKC v Dallas
Orlando v Philly Union
LAFC v Timbers

5 MLS v Lower
NYCFC v Rochester NY FC (MLSNP)
Richmond Kickers (USL-1) v Charlotte
Hou Dynamo v San Antonio FC (USL-C)
Inter Miami v So Georgia Tormenta (USL-1)
CA United Strikers (NISA) v LA Galaxy

3 Lower vs Lower
Detroit City (USL-C) v Louisville City (USL-C)
Union Omaha (USL-1) v NoCo Hailstorm (USL-1)
Sacramento Republic (USL-C) v Phoenix Rising (USL-C)

SEA draws UNAM 2-2 away. According to wiki, the away goals rule was applicable in the prior knockout rounds, but not the final?

Each tie, including the final, is played over two legs, with each team playing on a home-and-away basis.

• In the round of 16, quarter-finals and semi-finals, the away goals rule is applied if the aggregate score is tied after the second leg. If still tied, a penalty shoot-out is used to determine the winner (Regulations Article 12.7).[8]
  • In the final, extra time is played if the match is tied after regulation time. If the score is still tied after extra time, a penalty shoot-out is used to determine the winner (Regulations Article 12.8).[8]

Next match for all the marbles is May The 4.

Did you watch? It was Concacaf through and through. 1st half played in a downpour. 3 penalties in the box, 3 PKs converted, including Seattle’s 96th minute winner.

Damn, I was watching paint dry last night.
SEA on May The 4th: 20% chance of rain at night.
Upper bowl tix appear to be still available (work PC can’t get in to ticketmaster).

This looks like a fun night of soccer:

The mixed teams, comprised of players from both squads, played two 30-minute halves, and by the end, all the players _ including Timbers coach Giovanni Savarese and all the goalkeepers _ were on the field scrambling to score. Wearing the colors of the Ukrainian flag, the yellow team held off the blue team 4-3.

Big Z telling it like it is:

SEA pushing 60,000+ for CCL second-leg Final.
Trying to break attendance record.
Also, someone is trying to get everyone to sing Perry Como’s song at the beginning.

1 Like

They can do what FCB did for the Women’s team, and discount the tickets.

OK, this (CCL Final, Second Leg) is on FoxSports1 tonight.
Since the first match was a draw, this will be for the marbles.

A sellout crowd of over 67,000 – an all-time record for a CCL match – is expected at Lumen Field

I have it set up on the TiVo, but I’ll have to watch the Kings hockey game first.

Not a fan of a 9pm start 3 days after a 9:30 kick for Loons/LAFC. Also, is it really a 9:00 kick, or is that pregame and the kick is 9:30?

Also not a fan of the 8:45 puck drops for the Wild.

I am officially old.

Not sure what schedule you’re seeing. In September, Loons host LAFC at 7PM PDT.
Unless you’re referring to LAFC/Loons, played in LA, started at 7PM local. but the matches bookending that match are/were a week away.
Or, are you referring to your having to watch two late matches? Plus the late hockey game? Then, yes, you are getting old. Old people have TiVo, so use it wisely.

Looks like every CDT zone home game is scheduled way late (except Sunday). Less chance of overlap with EDT games.

Loons just played at LAFC 3 days ago with a 9:30pm kickoff. I’m still trying to catch up on sleep from going to bed at midnight.

Now I have another 9:00pm kickoff for the CCL tonight.

Toss in the Wild not starting until 8:45 and I will be very tired tomorrow. (The Wild game on Monday night was a dud and I didn’t have to watch the last 30 minutes.)

Luckily I have 2 TVs in the main watching area. Probably have CCL on the 75" and NHL on the 40".

Yeah, YOUR viewing time. And they don’t play until next Saturday.
OK, I get it.
ESPN states it’s starting at 7PM PDT, and since they are not showing it (if they were showing it, they’d add “prematch” shit to the match telecast), that’s probably the accurate start time.
FS1 has scheduled a pre-match show prior to the match, so all that should be out of the way by the time the match starts.
“The bluest skies you’ve ever seen are in Seattle…”
Jackass announcers will probably talk over it.

Yes, MY viewing time. Its all about ME dammit.

1 Like

It is!!
One more thing keeping me on the West Coast; earlier viewing times for sports.
I suggest just getting up later the next day.

Also, not sure why LAFC scheduled that match so late, besides TV demands. It’s frickin’ LA, on Sunday, in April. No 'Murican football going on. Dodgers were in town, but so what. No basketball playoffs in town (now, but didn’t know that a few months ago). Was a beautiful day here on Sunday.
“The brownest skies you’ve ever seen…”