The MLS Soccer Thread

FS1

Nice work! That should improve MLS in World Rankings a bit. Not a lot, but a bit.
And, SEA gets to play in an offseason tournament!

2 Likes

Beating Liga MX teams does raise the stature of the league here. MLS has also taken the last 2 Campeones Cups from the MX champion.

1 Like

Congrats to Seattle. I am looking forward to Nouhou vs Salah battle at the Club World Cup.

Also congrats to FC Dallas for their win over a hungover Seattle this coming weekend. I wish the Loons were playing them this Saturday instead of making the trip to Seattle in 10 days.

Liga MX suspended pro/rel in 2020. That suspension has been extended to 2026. Looks like they may be moving to a franchise model.

That’s too bad. Owners getting greedy and no risk.

USOC was the past couple nights. No upsets, but the Quakes beat the Sounders on the 11th round of penalties (one keeper made it, one keeper missed) and the MNUFC/Rapids game was postponed in the 20th minute due to storms and will resume today at 1:00 CST. Three lower division teams remain.

Draw for the round of 16 is tonight. The remaining teams and their draw groups:

Northeast
Charlotte FC
NE Revolution
NYCFC
NY Red Bulls

Southeast
Nashville
Louisville City FC (USL-C)
Inter Miami
Orlando City

Central
MNUFC / Colorado Rapids
Union Omaha (USL-1)
Sporting KC
Houston Dynamo

California
LAFC
LA Galaxy
Sacramento Republic (USL-C)
San Jose Earthquakes

Final bracket is set (I think they will still draw for home teams). Round of 16 games either 5/24 or 5/25.

NYRB vs Charlotte FC
NYCFC vs NE Revs

Orlando vs Inter Miami
Lou City (USL-C) vs Nashville

SKC vs Hou Dynamo
MNUFC vs Union Omaha (USL-1)

LA Galaxy vs LAFC
Sacramento (USL-C) vs San Jose

USOC resumed last night, featuring a gutless performance from a MN United lineup that featured 2 attacking DPs. 2 lower division sides advanced to the quarters. Can 1 make it to the semis?

NYRB vs NYCFC
Sporting KC vs Union Omaha (USL-1)

Orlando City vs Nashville
LA Galaxy vs Sacramento Republic (USL-C)

MLS announces a new 10 year streaming deal with Apple TV. All matches, no geoblocking, starting in 2023.

I hate it for a few reasons, but mostly because it reportedly kills all the local broadcasts. Only good part is that it reportedly will be included as part of full season ticket packages, so at least I don’t have to pay more for it.

Doesn’t it make only some games available on the regular Apple TV and then to get all the games you have to buy an upgraded package?

Yes, so likely only big MLS fans will subscribe. This is still a youngish league and growing in popularity, and yanking all local broadcasts off the air won’t help to continue to grow the fan base.

BUMP!
Gareth Bale retires.

He has really been bounced around. I remember him primarily as a Spurs star.

We have some wonderful golf courses here. He’ll like it.

Um, not sure what happens if Bale decides to unretire in June 2023.

Wales forward Gareth Bale has joined LAFC on a 12-month contract, with options through to 2024,

Maybe Bale was just looking for a relaxing league (MLS) to play in now in order to keep in shape for the WC? Followed by living in a pleasant winter climate? Or possibly to look for weaknesses in the MLS players playing for the US national team that he can exploit when Wales plays the US? Yes, he is a mole for Wales. :blush:

Until he finds out all the good USA players are in Europe. Meanwhile, he might get ground down by injury-seeking fouls, get injured, and miss the World Cup.
Just saying: what a dumb move. But, there doesn’t seem to be another chump team to pay him what he wants (not even Cardiff, trying to get out of near-relegation status of EFL Championship).

Looks like Rooney is retiring… from coaching.