The Last of Us

Episode 3 was… way more sad than I was expecting.

Nick Offerman did a great job that episode. It deviated from the game a bit but I believe Bill is still alive.

Game Plot

There is some implication in the game that Bill tried to kill himself and lived. Frank hung himself and there was a rope hanging in the barn implying that someone attempted to hang himself and failed.

The acting remains stellar.

1 Like

Have not played the game, but I think I prefer the show’s version more. Is it fair that the game’s story hammers home the “All is lost” theme? I thought the show’s version was really well done and a nice deviation from the usual “all is lost” post-apocalyptic theme.

1 Like

I have not seen the show yet, but the game is definitely “the wilds are basically Hell on Earth” and inside civilizations, it depends.

Some are relatively safe but more often than not, everybody is tasked with a job, including excursions outside to kill any infected you find and find any canned food that wasn’t already picked over.

If you’re in a major settlement you might feel fairly safe, there are also places that have maybe 20 people and there is a constant threat.

There’s definitely no major area of “this is fine”, it’s at best “we can deal with this.”

Last night’s episode was…wow. First time I can recall a gay scene like this that didn’t sort of seem like they were trying to be deliberately inclusive. Gay/not gay, all completely irrelevant despite being about 2 gay men.
And wow, the story line was a real tear-jerker too. Very powerful stuff. "I was never afraid until you showed up’.
And it was a completely seperate storyline in the middle of the series. Almost like a different show inserted, it stands on it’s own. Frankly, they could do an entire series on those two guys and I’d likely watch that too.

3 Likes

Great episode. There was a bit of twist where Bill got a gunshot wound (not sure why he was out there if he thought they were all going to get caught in the tripwires anyway) which looked like it might become gangrenous. Then jumps to 10 years later where he’s fine but Frank is incapacitated (Lou Gehrig’s?).

2 Likes

So the great grandmother ate all the cookies because she was the only one who liked raisins?

After seeing this thread, I jumped on the bandwagon and glad I did. Ep 3 felt like a big diversion from the main plot, but one that was done very well. I wonder if this is a one-off or a template they’ll use in several other episodes.

We’re also unimpressed by the female lead despite liking her in GoT. We really liked Joel’s daughter, who I just found out is the real life daughter of Thandiwe Newton (Maeve from Westworld).

1 Like

She was excellent. It was a shock when she died because I thought she was going to be the immune teenager. But of course 20 years had to pass so that would make no sense.

1 Like

At the least, she was the only one who ate any of the cookies. Not necessarily all of them.

watched it twice. cried both times.

kinda forgot the two main characters or what show we were watching. Agree that the whole story could just be about these two.

Ron Swanson’s acting is great.

2 Likes

Probably one of the best episodes of TV that I’ve ever watched.

3 Likes

I’m unfortunately not super impressed with her either, so far. Definitely liked Joel’s daughter more.

I’m hoping that part of the writing is that we’re not supposed to like her…yet. Hasn’t lived up to the Mormont hype.

I think we’re supposed to find her annoying, like Joel finds her annoying

2 Likes

One of the signs of great acting is when you can like a character in one production and not like them in another. Also relatedly, I didn’t realize Frank was the hotel manager from S1 or White Lotus until 3/4 of the way through the episode when g-lassie mentioned it.

I did recognize him and know he’s gay but was still surprised when the two started to have romantic sparks, but it made sense.

I wonder why he didn’t keep his Australian accent. Maybe Frank would have shot him straight away if he’d heard the accent.