The Kids Thread

That’s approximately 3’3” to 3’7” for those of us who only speak American.

2 Likes

6 Likes

does not bode well.

1 Like

I think it was a tantrum phase. She kind of started around age 3 (later than we expected) and its starting to wind down a bit now.

1 Like

HS graduation tonight! She is excited to be done. As a bonus, intends to major in math at school next year.

8 Likes

I am always amused by these lists but here is the latest from the US for which cities are best for raising kids.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/06/realestate/best-cities-us-family.html?unlocked_article_code=1.yE0.FoqX.0-RcZvHzXOhx&smid=url-share

Ah, yes, that little thing called socioeconomics. Small barrier.

2 Likes

They use it to mean both pro and con, and it being high or low can make it a pro or con, which makes this an unuseful list.

1 Like

Yes, that was more my point in my head. It might as well be “good, wealthy areas” and “bad, poor areas.” Which means no one who can afford the left would consider the right, and no one who is living on the right can afford to move left. Useless.

By definition, the extremes don’t tell you much. Its the middle areas that are a bit more interesting.

You can find your City below.

Link to study:

At first I assumed they were trying to be nonjudgy but then they’re like, “in conclusion avoid the black people.” Smooth, NYT. Real smooth.

2 Likes

Anyway, to Poly’s point, we live in a city near the bottom of this list. And not only is my kid 70% likely to be shot, but also it’s not actually cheap to live here. I’ve been trying to convince my wife to move to a liberal paradise, but it would require leaving friends and family behind.

My city is squarely in the middle, but number one in my state, which is what I would have expected.

Yeah, it basically says don’t be poor, because it sucks and correlates with other stuff that sucks.

I would be curious to see how suburbs would rank.

1 Like

Yikes. Thats harsh.

DC ended up #39 but people don’t raise their kids in the city usually. They head out to the suburbs (NOVA and Maryland) as its safer and they have a bit more space.

Tons of people raise their kids in DC. They just tend to be the poorer folks mostly. Not everyone can afford the burbs.

I’m probably way too late on this one (I meant to reply before and forgot), but my kids are similarly spaced in age, and we flew with them a couple of times a year from birth to about 6 & 9-ish. I’m a big fan of the row of 3 and the other parent across the aisle, even as the parent who sat with the kids most of the time. They could play and interact with each other, watch the same videos, and could move around more with less concern with them bothering people around them. Since they didn’t need the room under the seat, it was convenient to stash their snacks and whatever to occupy them, instead of having to pass things across the aisle.

Yeah already booked the 2&2 in the back of the bus so we can play man-to-man. We’ll see how this one goes and try the other way another time just to see. The only thing I know that would annoy me about going across the aisle is when the rows don’t actually line up sometimes, like the two sides will be staggered on some planes, which would somewhat defeat the purpose.

My 7-year old left her chore list from Sunday on my desk. One of the tasks is “tity counter” which took me a moment to parse (it’s “tidy counter” not “titty counter”)

3 Likes