The Go Actuary 2022 Celebrity Death Pool

Olivia Newton-John: DEAD!

Newton-John was a British-Australian singer, songwriter, actress, entrepreneur, and activist. She was a four-time Grammy Award winner whose music career included five number one hits and another ten Top Ten hits on the Billboard Hot 100, and two Billboard 200 number one albums, If You Love Me, Let Me Know (1974) and Have You Never Been Mellow (1975). Eleven of her singles (including two Platinum) and 14 of her albums (including two Platinum and four 2× Platinum) have been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA). In 1978, she starred in the musical film Grease, whose soundtrack remains one of the world’s best-selling albums of recorded music including “You’re the One that I Want” and “Summer Nights”. Among other major hits were “I Honestly Love You” (1974) and “Physical” (1981). She is no longer Physically with us as she died today at age 73.

Though Olivia was a popular pick in the past, she was the one that traina wanted so traina gets a unique hit.

contestant Normal Deaths Tragic Deaths Unique Deaths Total Points
Maphistos_Sidekick 4 2 1 72
ArthurItas 4 1 2 71
hotkarl 2 1 0 40
traina 3 1 2 39
Patient Zombie 4 1 2 36
twig93 1 1 0 33
frummie 1 0 0 13
Ted_Hoffman 1 0 1 6
soyleche 0 0 0 0
LastExamDone 0 0 0 0

Thanks frummie. I was really surprised she was a unique pick this time.

1 Like

I thought everything I read had things as rather stabilized. May have been interviewed on CBS Sunday Morning as well

1 Like

I considered her, but her cancer seemed to be stable. That said, I do regret not at least listing her as an alternate. I was out of alternates by the end and convinced frummie to count Shannen Doherty as I’d mentioned her at some point.

Oh well. It’d have only been a point or two for me… and I guess one less for you as you’d have lost the unique. I didn’t do it, so my bad.

RIP Olivia.

1 Like

I thought about including her, but she didn’t quite make the cut. While she had bad cancer, she was able to live with it for a long time.

I did include her in my other dead pool.

1 Like

She was #17 on my list, down in the section of my big list where I have folks who have had long-term illnesses that will probably kill them…but who could linger on for a while too.

1 Like

#18 on mine

1 Like

A few years ago in December i noticed a lot of people picked her and the news was grim. I had her on my list the next year but she didn’t make it to my final list since she survived the year.

Mikhail Gorbachev: DEAD!

Gorbachev was a Russian and Soviet politician who served as the last leader of the Soviet Union. Gorbachev recurrently employed the term perestroika, encompassing a complex series of reforms to restructure society and the economy. He was concerned by the country’s low productivity, poor work ethic, and inferior quality goods; he feared this would lead to the country becoming a second-rate power. In the second year of his leadership, Gorbachev began speaking of glasnost, or “openness”, or “greater openness and candor in government affairs and for an interplay of different and sometimes conflicting views in political debates, in the press, and in Soviet culture.” Eventually the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 and he resigned as General Secretary of the Soviet Union. He died yesterday at age 91.

soyleche and LastExamDone each get their first hit of the year.

Standings:

Maphistos_Sidekick 4 2 1 72
ArthurItas 4 1 2 71
hotkarl 2 1 0 40
traina 3 1 2 39
Patient Zombie 4 1 2 36
twig93 1 1 0 33
frummie 1 0 0 13
soyleche 1 0 0 8
Ted_Hoffman 1 0 1 6
LastExamDone 1 0 0 2
1 Like

Bill Turnbull: Former BBC Breakfast presenter dies aged 66

Apparently QE2’s kids and grandkids are headed to Balmoral as doctors report that they are “concerned about her health”.

EDIT: Drat. I don’t have her on my list this year. Hope she makes it to January.

If you don’t have a Times subscription, here’s the AP version.

And she’s passed.

Bill Turnbull: DEAD!

Turnbull was an English television and radio presenter and journalist, whose broadcasting career spanned over four decades. He began his career working for radio stations including Radio Clyde and BBC Radio 4’s Today. He presented BBC News 24 and BBC Radio 5 Live before taking on his most notable role as one of the main presenters of BBC Breakfast, a position he held for fifteen years between 2001 and 2016. Later in his career, he presented the religious series Songs of Praise and game show Think Tank, as well as being a presenter on the radio station Classic FM. He died August 31 at age 66

hotkarl, Patient Zombie and Maphistos_Sidekick all get hits.

Standings:

Maphistos_Sidekick 5 2 1 83
ArthurItas 4 1 2 71
hotkarl 3 1 0 46
Patient Zombie 5 1 2 45
traina 3 1 2 39
twig93 1 1 0 33
frummie 1 0 0 13
soyleche 1 0 0 8
Ted_Hoffman 1 0 1 6
LastExamDone 1 0 0 2
Keep watching those obits!

Uh…

The Queen is dead. Long live the king.

Queen Elizabeth II: DEAD!

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Windsor, AKA Queen Elizabeth II was the niece of King Edward VIII. When King Edward abdicated the throne to marry a divorcee, her father became King and she the presumptive heir to the throne. She ascended to Queen at age 25 upon the death of her father, King George IV. She was married to Prince Phillip for 73 years and was Queen of England for 70 years, Britain’s longest reigning monarch. She died today at age 96.

hotkarl, traina, soyleche, twig93 and LastExamDone all get hits.

Standings:
Maphistos_Sidekick 5 2 1 83
ArthurItas 4 1 2 71
hotkarl 4 1 0 53
traina 4 1 2 52
Patient Zombie 5 1 2 45
twig93 2 1 0 44
soyleche 2 0 0 22
LastExamDone 2 0 0 16
frummie 1 0 0 13
Ted_Hoffman 1 0 1 6
Keep watching those obits!

Marsha Hunt

Marsha Hunt: DEAD!

Ms. Hunt was an American actress, model, and activist, with a career spanning nearly 80 years. She was blacklisted by Hollywood film studio executives in the 1950s during McCarthyism. She appeared in many films, including Born to the West (1937) with John Wayne, Pride and Prejudice (1940) with Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier, Kid Glove Killer (1942) with Van Heflin, Cry ‘Havoc’ (1943) with Margaret Sullavan and Joan Blondell, The Human Comedy (1943) with Mickey Rooney, Raw Deal (1948) with Claire Trevor, The Happy Time (1952) with Charles Boyer, and Dalton Trumbo’s Johnny Got His Gun (1971). In the midst of the blacklist era, she became active in the humanitarian cause of world hunger and in her later years aided homeless shelters, supported same-sex marriage, raised awareness of climate change, and promoted peace in Third World countries.She died September 7 at age 104.

Maphistos_Sidekick gets a pool leading 8th hit and Arthur Itas is still in the Hunt at second place with a hit.

Standings:

Maphistos_Sidekick 6 2 1 87
ArthurItas 5 1 2 73
hotkarl 4 1 0 53
traina 4 1 2 52
Patient Zombie 5 1 2 45
twig93 2 1 0 44
soyleche 2 0 0 22
LastExamDone 2 0 0 16
frummie 1 0 0 13
Ted_Hoffman 1 0 1 6