The Go Actuary 2022 Celebrity Death Pool

Scratch Betty White. I didn’t list her, because I assume (1) others would have her so it wouldn’t be unique, and (2) she was going to love to 103+.

Same for me with Betty White. I was thinking I might have more unique picks than most for 2022, but it looks like a lot of people played it that way.

I don’t make it. I think @Werewolf does.

Or Wannabe Actuary. I always confuse them.

Yikes, I might be out of alternates. :grimacing:

I’m entering another Dead Pool, but for that one entries are due 1/14 (they decided working on it over the holidays was too much so they go for a late start). I appreciate the updates on Billy Turner and Israel Dresner, as they will probably make my list if they last that long.

ETA: Billy Turner died yesterday

#TragedyPicksWeAllMissed

First hit for a couple: Sidney Poitier.

Haven’t seen any major news outlets reporting yet, but I imagine they will within the next hour or so.

1 Like

The story is now starting to hit a bunch of major news outlets:

Great actor

Maybe he’s such a great actor, he’s just playing dead.

1 Like

Yeah, I have three news alerts on my phone. RIP.

Let the heads roll!
Here are the lists in order received. T denotes Tragedy pick; * denotes unique pick

Good luck to the contestants! Bad luck to the celebrities!

Sidney Poitier: DEAD!

Poitier was a Bahamian-American actor, film director, activist, and ambassador. In 1964, he won the Academy Award for Best Actor, becoming the first Black male and Bahamian actor to win the award. He received two further Academy Award nominations, ten Golden Globes nominations, two Primetime Emmy Awards nominations, six BAFTA nominations, eight Laurel nominations, and one Screen Actors Guild Awards nomination. His screen credits include The Defiant Ones, Porgy and Bess, A Raisin in the Sun, and A Patch of Blue. He continued to break ground in three successful 1967 films which dealt with issues of race and race relations: To Sir, with Love; Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, and In the Heat of the Night. Beginning in the 1970s, Poitier also directed various comedy films including Stir Crazy (1980) starring Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder, among other films. After nearly a decade away from acting, he returned to television and film starring in Shoot to Kill (1988) and Sneakers (1992).From 1997 to 2007, Poitier served as Bahamian Ambassador to Japan. He died today at age 94.

twig93 grabs the early lead and traina also gets us started with the first hit of the year.

Standings:

contestant Normal Deaths Tragic Deaths Unique Deaths Total Points
twig93 1 0 0 13
traina 1 0 0 9
soyleche 0 0 0 0
Patient Zombie 0 0 0 0
LastExamDone 0 0 0 0
Maphistos_Sidekick 0 0 0 0
frummie 0 0 0 0
ArthurItas 0 0 0 0
Ted_Hoffman 0 0 0 0
hotkarl 0 0 0 0
1 Like

RIP Sidney Poitier. Such a great man. Thank you for the points though…

2 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

Doesn’t look like anyone had Bob Saget. Well, the Grim Reaper has him now.

Honestly, if you’d have given me 5,000 names to list I probably still wouldn’t have taken him. Maybe because I thought he was generally overrated - which made him perfect for Full House, which is overrated - and his work on America’s Funniest Home Videos was at best terrible.

That’s right. I’m going there.

Best work was HIMYM

1 Like

IFYP

But RIP to Bob Saget anyway.

1 Like

A somewhat amusing Saget story:

I wasn’t interested in most of his TV roles, but some of his comedy bits were good.

2 Likes