The Daylight Savings Thread

Personally, I like the effect of DST in the summer and Standard time in the not-summer, but I don’t like going through the change…in particular the spring change, of course.

If we had year-round Standard time then 7/4 fireworks could be properly set off about 9:00 pm instead of waiting until about 10:00…get to bed earlier…especially useful if you’re in valuation.

1 Like

If we had year-round DST, then, well, it wouldn’t get light out until about eight or nine of the clock (in the winter)…of course, then it would be light out until five or six instead of four or five (in the winter).

I can’t think of any really good reason not to stick with DST year-round.

How so? under standard time, wouldn’t it get darker an hour earlier in the summer? or am I confusing things?

Bipartisan legislation in committe to stay on Daylight Savings Time forever and ever. Call your Congress Critter and tell them you support this bill!!! (only if you actually support this bill of course)

This is backwards I believe.

Let me think…:thinking: …ah, yes, you are right…I think. Ima gonna change my post.

I reckon you’re correct. I’ve edited my post.

…especially if you’re in TX…we can’t all fly off to Cancun like the Cruzmeister.

1 Like

I think we should double up on DST. Instead of jumping ahead 1 hour in the spring, we should jump ahead 2 hours. And vice versa in the fall. What does it matter. Nobody wears watches anyway.

Chicago is on the short end of things being so far east in its Central time zone. It gets dark by 4:00 in December.

And another thing… Leap day should be changed from 2/29 to 6/31. If we are gonna get another unpaid workday, it might at least be in the summertime.

if you have a clock that doesn’t adjust automatically, throw the clock out and get a new one.

Also, you old.

In Canada, it’s mostly 12-hour (11:30 in Newfoundland), but Québec French uses 24-hour times in writing.

FWIW, I’m in the “I don’t care about standard or daylight saving time, just pick one and do away with the change” camp…but I can’t help but notice that splitting the difference and going to the half hour in-between (e.g. Eastern = UTC-4½), addresses many of the issues folks raise with either DST or ST.

I’d support year-round DST. Without DST, it would be getting light around 5 AM, which is a waste. And no matter how many times you say just get up to enjoy it, there’s not going to be anything you can do to enjoy that hour. Nothing’s open.

why don’t businesses just adjustment their work hours so that 5am start is normal for a region and 10am start is normal for a different region, and then we don’t have to adjust the clocks 16 different times if you’re an international company throughout the year.

Just put everyone on UTC and let them deal with setting their own schedules, IMO.

:ctm:

Utah has enacted the legislation. But it requires 4 other western states to join in, plus congress allowing it. Currently a state can remain on Standard Time year round but not on Daylight Savings Time year round.

Let’s pretend Congress has made it so states can move toward daylight saving time for good, how close would Utah be to being able to spring forward permanently?

SB59 identifies the other Western states as Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming. So Utah needs four of those to join them in daylight saving land.

Of those states, Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Wyoming have passed bills that allow for a switch to be made in some capacity. That’s four — so fantastic, right? If only it were that simple. Like Utah’s law, the other state’s bills also have their own provisions.

For Oregon’s bill to take effect, both Washington and California have to make the change as well. Idaho’s bill only includes the portions of the state that are in the Pacific Time Zone, and only when Washington moves to daylight saving time. A bill for Idaho’s Mountain time zone residents to follow Utah’s lead failed to pass. Wyoming will also need four Western states to follow suit, but they are different than Utah’s (Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Utah). Washington, though, is only waiting for Congress to make it legal.

As of now, it’s one state for sure joining — but it may be closer than that. California voters had voted for a proposition to make the summer schedule permanent (it died at the legislature level) and Nevada has urged Congress to allow its lawmakers to make the switch, too.

Here’s a look at where the other Western states are at on the issue:

Arizona: The state has observed permanent standard time since 1968 and will likely remain there for the foreseeable future.

California: In 2018, a proposition passed allowing the California State Legislature to make daylight saving time the permanent time of the state. However, according to Assemblyman Kansen Chu (D-San Jose) who sponsored the proposition, the California State Senate Committee on Energy, Utilities and Communications did not bring the proposition up for a vote and thus it died.

Colorado: A 2020 bill that would have daylight saving time as the official time year-round failed.

Idaho: A bill to allow the cities which are in the Pacific Time Zone to go to daylight saving time once Washington state does has passed. A bill to follow Utah’s lead, however, failed.

Montana: In 2019, a bill that would have asked voters to eliminate daylight saving time was struck down by a senate panel.

Nevada: In 2015, the Nevada Senate approved an Assembly Joint Resolution urging Congress to let Nevada set its clocks to daylight saving time.

New Mexico: In 2019, the New Mexico Senate passed a bill to permanently keep the state on daylight saving time. However, at the same time, the New Mexico House of Representatives passed a bill to end daylight saving time. It’s not surprising then that a 2020 bill that would have, among other things, made the change to daylight saving permanent failed.

Oregon: In 2019, Oregon passed a bill to remain on daylight saving time permanently. It will take effect the first November after both Washington and California do the same (and with congressional approval of course).

Washington: In 2019, Washington passed a bill to make daylight saving time the official time of the state as soon as Congress permits it.

Wyoming: The state has established daylight saving time as the official time year-round once Congress authorizes it and at least four Western states (Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming) do as well.

I hate the change. It makes me grumpy. Especially when people are all happy about their “extra hour”. There are no extra hours!

1 Like

Where in the Constitution does it give the Federal government power over my state’s clocks!?

3 Likes