The covid virgins club

I tried isolating when mr aj got covid but was unsuccessful. Of course that was before N95 masks were readily available and I was almost certainly exposed before he tested positive.

When my friend’s husband had it she slept in another room, and since they didn’t have an outside door her hubby climbed out the window to do his barn chores. (Apparently he had a mild case.) She succeeded in not getting covid at that time.

Yes, I also use KF94s, which have convenient ear loops, and come in a variety of colors and patterns. I use N95s when I will need to wear the mask for a long time (ear pressure builds up) or when I’m moving vigorously, or when I think my risk is high (like caring for my mom) but for shopping and hanging out watching TV with friends and stuff, and when I have to go into the office, I generally wear an KF94.

These

are fun, and fit my face pretty well. I sometimes tighten them up a little using the slots designed for that. They are also very cheap when they are on sale.

I also sometimes wear the Blue masks (that’s a brand name, they seem to come in black and white) because I bought a lot of them early on, and they a little thicker and softer, making them very comfy to wear in the winter, when I’m walking from my car to the indoor place where I’ll want the mask. Turns out that I like the mask outdoors in cold weather, too. They are slightly smaller, and fit my face well without any adjustment. They aren’t as good for people with very large faces.

I’ve been wearing KF94’s since they became readily available / once I started peeking out from lockdown.

I wear a size 8¼ hat. The N95’s I tried didn’t work well given my cranial dimensions, but the KF94’s are adjustable enough to work.

the N95’s fit is ideal for me.

There are dozens of brands of KF94, some of which come in many sizes. There are KF94s that fit little children and ones that fit huge men, and everything in between.

If n95 works for me, why would i need those?

Maybe you don’t. You asked if i used other types of mask, and yes, i do. I have developed a wardrobe of masks, and wear different ones for different events.

Despite being sick for 3.5 weeks now, still a COVID virgin. Took a test just now to confirm.

1 Like

I was pretty lax with masks other than when I flew. In retrospect, that was probably the right call as I never caught covid until I actually was in the same house with someone with it.

there is something else going around that has cold symptoms that never ends. my mother had it recently. it was worse than covid for her. might be rsv.

i was in her house when she was sick from it and i didn’t catch it. none of her friends who were vacationing with her where she caught it, got it either. makes me think it’s not as contagious with adults as covid is.

I can believe that - despite how much of a hot mess I’ve been, husband hasn’t complained about much more than a short-lived sore throat.

Meet boss for the first time irl after 2 years…

OH COME ON.

4 Likes

When did you meet him? yesterday and he tested positive today? Was it face to face or a group setting? How much time? It’s possible you don’t get it.

What a considerate boss you have.

1 Like

I met him Wednesday for lunch (he was across a wide table from me)… then I was in a meeting room with him all afternoon (again, across a wide table).

…and then I DROVE HIM IN MY CAR TO A RESTAURANT 20 MINUTES AWAY…

Then we were in a group dinner from 7 PM until 11 PM (I was beside him for some amount of that time).

Oh, and guess who these two folks are!

hmmm, so 2 days ago and he’s positive today. it seems possible he wasn’t contagious 2 days ago. the car ride sounds the riskiest.

covid sucks, but after vaccines and boosters i’m guessing that thing you had for a month was worse.

good luck.

1 Like

Thank you.

Unfortunately I’m also late on the most recent round of boosters (husband and kids did it while I was travelling so it’s been a hot minute for me).

might not matter. it seems questionable if people under 50 without risk factors actually need the most recent booster.

I think that over 50 criteria is also pretty arbitrary. I doubt my risks will go way up when the clock strikes midnight on my 50th birthday. also i think that one of the posts said that in some other country they don’t recommend the booster for anyone under 60 without risk factors.

Do they know yet how long the vaccines provide an immune response? I plan to get all the boosters not so much because they work to prevent infection, but more so because I worry that going too long after vaccination could make me lose any benefits with regards to severity of infection.

yeah, i’m confused by the recommendation that people under 50 don’t need this booster. doesn’t the immune response from a prior vaccination run out eventually?

i’m not eligible for another booster since i just got one in september, but pretty sure my getting any benefit from one is pushed off for a while due to having had covid at christmastime.

1 Like