The covid virgins club

my family had a blow up fight over this last xmas… multiple people has covid in Dec and the ‘discussion’ was about who should come to dinner.

recall this is deep red country. so opinions ranged from ‘covid is fake’ to ‘5 days no symptoms’. we settled on 2 weeks since onset, 2 days completely symptom free. So the exact metrics needed for everyone to come to dinner anyway. I was incredibly uncomfortable. I stood outside with the dogs all day.

still a virgin, but starting to think some people are just less prone to covid than others. And I am just one of the lucky ones at this point.

1 Like

5 days isolation, then 5 days of masking if around anyone.

2 Likes

User name checks out.

1 Like

oh and you also are supposed to be fever free without the use of drugs for 24 hours to end isolation. fan family members who had covid didn’t really have a fever past day 1 though.

1 Like

Yeah, improving symptoms to end isolation too.

1 Like

Are you, by chance, blood type O?

If I’m reading/understanding that article correctly, it may be helpful.

my sister is blood type o and got covid twice. i suspect that’s not a main factor for avoiding it.

i think i just wasn’t exposed somehow. i have less of a life than many and when i did have a life, i got lucky and wasn’t exposed. i doubt i have super powers to fend it off entirely. i am type O+ blood, but that’s the most common blood type.

my father who is also type O+ got it once in a nursing home. he was almost definitely exposed since then since his nurse stayed over at this assisted living place he was at just as she tested positive. somehow he didn’t catch it from her. he had gotten a booster right before that incident, so that might be part of why.

I dodged COVID for a long time and am O+. It eventually got me.

Husband and I are both O+, son is definitely O, stepson is A. Stepson is also the only one of us who has caught it.

I don’t expect to avoid it forever, but I’m starting to think I may be less susceptible to it at this point. Maybe because of my blood type, maybe something else, I dunno.

oh and my father’s nurse was a nurse at the covid floor of a nursing home for months. didn’t catch covid. at times she wasn’t careful. she was around my father not entirely protected right before he got covid and used the same phone. we really thought she was just one of those weirdos who are naturally immune. she eventually caught it from her husband.

not sure If im buying the blood type argument in full.

I was thinking it had more to do with how your immune system developed over your lifetime. Which would be a combination of your genetics and exposures over the years. My mother for example worked at a med tech (drawing, testing blood) for 40 years. She was exposed to almost every disease known to man. maybe not through blood contact, but face to face contact with people with illness every day for 40 years. maybe that exposure + some fortunate genetics created an immune system that just happens to be more resilient against this disease. She certainly didnt avoid exposure to covid the last 3 years, wear masks, or keep up with boosters.

1 Like

My mother tested negative for covid with several antigen tests over several days, but she has kind of the cold from hell right now. Might be as bad as covid was for her. She has an appointment with urgent care tomorrow. Guessing they will give her a pcr test that will be likely also negative

Thus far i somehow have not caught whatever this is even though im in the same house.

Maybe she has RSV. There’s apparently a lot of it going around.

Oh right i forgot about rsv since i never actually heard of it until recently. Probably that.

Or flu. That’s what is going through my household right now. :-1: Pediatrician said that they’re not seeing much COVID in my area right now, it’s all flu.

Seems like a nasty cold to me with a bad cough. I think thats rsv rather than the flu. She doesnt have a fever

she got another covid test at the urgent care. also negative. they claim it’s just a bad cold. :person_shrugging:

A coronavirus, then; not The Coronavirus.

2 Likes

covid-pre19

1 Like

Hopefully all the same a year from now.