The covid virgins club

Yet another “Your child has had close exposure …” letter and yet another negative test.

I tested today because someone decided to give me a cold the literal second I was feeling a bit better in the abdomen/gut areas. I guess my lungs upwards wasn’t getting enough of the action. Still no COVID.

What is weird is I’ve only been around other Sox family members for a long while and nobody was sick.

Covid level back to high in New York. I’m currently at a spa resort where pretty much nobody is wearing a mask. It’s like covid is over, except it’s rising again.

Since we are at this resort my father is in assisted living for 2 weeks. He is enjoying himself there but since the attitude has been covid is over they resumed the fun activities that makes him like it there, but covid levels are again high. I hope he remains covid free. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Yeah; I hope you both do.

But there is something to be said for quality of life. If your father is enjoying where he’s at then that’s something. Hopefully they take other precautions like masking.

I’m hearing there is a pill now that wipes out covid fast if you do get it. Is that accurate?

Also that anyone can get it at a pharmacy now, not just high risk people.

1 Like

I went to a party Saturday with 40-50 people. It was mostly outdoors, but I did spend some time indoors too. No symptoms yet, so hoping I dodged the bullet again.

And another letter and another test set for tomorrow.

Geez!!! That many tests sounds mildly traumatic in its own right.

The one good thing is that I"ve been able to schedule tests easily. So I’m guessing that despite there being another big outbreak locally, people aren’t bothering to test as they had.

1 Like

My mom used to take my temperature all the time. I didn’t find it traumatic. More, “mom cares”.

2 Likes

My kids certainly don’t enjoy having a stick shoved up their nose. But we talk about how we do it because we care about our classmates and teachers and want to make sure we aren’t spreading germs. Makes them feel like they’re doing a good deed for society, and I hope those are the values I can instill in them largely anyway.

Yeah, a stick up the nose is considerably more obnoxious than taking one’s temperature. Less so now that most places seem to have moved away from the “brain tickling” kind, but still pretty unpleasant.

I dunno, my niece seems terrified of getting Covid tests. Like if she knows she’s going to the doctor she’ll ask every adult she knows a hundred times if they think she’ll have to get a Covid test. And yes, everyone involved in explaining why it’s needed.

I don’t remember how old vjvj’s child is. I assume the older the kids are the less they are bothered by it.

Old, but special needs. So talking about it doesn’t help much and it is a pretty big ordeal (but momentary - he recovers immediately).

4 Likes

My one and only PCR test, the guy asked me to blow my nose. Then he ran a swab around the edge of each nostril, and said he was done. He didn’t even stick it into the nostril. It was less invasive than having my temperature taken.

Oh, wait, I also had 3 PCR test administered by the study I joined, and two of those shoved a swab up into my sinuses. But I didn’t think they were still doing that for routine stuff.

When I do a rapid test I put the swab all the way into the nose, but I don’t shove it up far enough to hurt. The instructions are actually pretty clear that you don’t need to.

That … has not been my niece’s experience. :woman_shrugging:

I’m in Austin for a meeting. My manager tested positive and I was certainly around her. I did a rapid test that was negative this morning and my Chief Medical Officer told me to get a PCR, which was also negative. Might test positive in a day or two, but fingers crossed I’m still in the club.

4 Likes

PCR test yesterday came back negative. Looks like I came out clean from the huge concert I attended Sunday. Cases spiking again in my city so I’m still masking indoors and generally being careful.

3 Likes

My sister just read that the county we are in for vacation has the 2nd highest rate of new covid cases right now in the entire country. Maybe not wearing a mask when I got my eyebrows done was stupid in retrospect :grimacing:

I’ve been pretty maskless this entire vacation for 4 days now as are most people here. :grimacing:

1 Like

I hope you keep testing negative.

In my case I was exposed on Wednesday, tested negative on Thursday around noon, started feeling symptoms Thursday evening, and tested positive on Monday.

Hubby was exposed on Sunday afternoon, tested negative Monday morning, started feeling symptoms Monday night and tested positive Tuesday morning.

That was in January. At the time they were saying to test… I think it was the earlier of 72 hours after exposure or at the onset of symptoms, whichever comes first. Hubby & I both tested too early the first time and got false negatives. Both false negatives were PCR tests.