The covid cooties club

My recollection is that the amount of virus that you’ve been exposed to impacts the severity.

So like if you had 20 minutes of exposure that would result in a milder case than if you had 20 hours of exposure. So if you’ve been living with someone who’s got Covid then you’ve had a lot more exposure than some folks.

That information is old… I’m not certain that newer strains still work that way, although I don’t really see why they wouldn’t.

IANAImmunologist.

i ummm had DAYS of exposure!

Sadly that will probably result in a more severe case than if it was only a little.

thanks for freaking me out

More severe <> extremely severe

Just worse than extremely mild. Hopefully it’s just a bad cold for you.

Eh, i think there’s a difference between a little dose and a big dose, but i don’t think there’s really much difference between a big dose for an hour and a big dose over a couple days. Viruses reproduce very rapidly. At the start, if it’s a tiny dose you are more likely to contain it, but once it gets going, more exposure is probably irrelevant.

I expect your vaccinated immune system will handle this fine, after a could of days of misery. That’s certainly what most of my friends have experienced recently.

1 Like

hopefully. i can’t deal with long covid. i had on and off chronic fatigue for no reason for the last year that i had a reprieve from currently. i can’t deal with long-covid on top of whatever was causing this fatigue in the first place double teaming me. that’s why i was terrified of covid.

yeah, my initial dose was when we didn’t know they had covid. i was stupid. of course it was covid.

Not sure if the roommate caught it or not. Roommate is busy avoiding us as though their life depends on it

i’m hungry, but was too fucking tired to get up out of bed and eat anything and anything i’m gonna eat is a chore. finally forced myself to get up and eat something. my appetite isn’t affected. i’m just too tired to move a fork to my mouth and most normal food isn’t appetizing to me. sense of taste is unaffected thus far though.

this happened with my tired disease. this is worse.

just took some tylenol. my temperature is creeping up. at 99.3. is advil frowned upon with covid? cause i might switch to that later.

I heard no ibuprofen but im not sure where thats from.

When i got COVID, it was at a super spreader event, and everyone i talked to got different symptoms. I got lucky and had what was essentially the sniffles with some moderate sinus pain one night. My wife got a fever and typical flu symptoms. My one friend had a cough and chest pains. So that said, you arent gauranteed to have the same experience as your friend because you caught it from them.

There was a lot of talk about that early in the pandemic, but I don’t think that was ever confirmed. Advil does tamp down the the immune response, which is maybe bad in the very beginning of the infection, but maybe good later on, when the immune response can cause a lot of problems. (That’s why they give very sick people steroids – to depress the immune response.) All that being said, advil has a pretty weak affect on the immune system, and it may not make any difference.

Fever makes you feel shitty, but fever helps fight disease, so it can be good to tolerate it if it’s not dangerously high.

So why would tylenol be okay but not advil? Temperature is about 100.

Advil is an NSAID, or an anti-inflammatory. Tylenol isn’t. Tylenol is only effective at affecting your brain’s response to pain or fever, while advil has an effect on your entire body.

Interestingly, I am not allowed to take any NSAIDs a week before my surgery and for three months after it. Tylenol is fine though.

My sister took advil when she had covid and was fine with it.

Right now just laying in bed feeling like death taking nothing. I need to get up and do my expense report for work eventually. Getting out of bed is a massive chore

I wasn’t allowed to take NSAIDs, including Advil, when I was pregnant. The only “pain killer” I was allowed to take was Tylenol. I have joint issues, and the anti-inflammatory effect of NSAIDs is really what helps. Tylenol does nothing. I hurt for most of the pregnancy.

1 Like

You should take Advil if that’s what you have and you’re in pain. Your body needs rest, and if you can’t get it because of your discomfort, it’s more important. The difference between NSAIDs and acetaminophen are not significant in your case, but can be in others.

I have advil. Friend has generic tylenol so i have both as an option.

I slept okay last night. Still fucking exhausted though

1 Like

For my surgery, my surgeon told me that NSAIDs can interfere with the necessary bone growth post-spine surgery, which I had no idea was a thing. Thankfully I’ve always preferred Tylenol anyway.

My mother swears by rapid release tylenol which i have at home but not here.