The Attempted Coup of the United States of America

Federal undercover agent?
Russian double-agent?

FFS

Romney passed the message on to McConnell, typing him a text message [on Jan 2]:

“In case you have not heard this, I just got a call from Angus King, who said that he had spoken with a senior official at the Pentagon who reports that they are seeing very disturbing social media traffic regarding the protests planned on the 6th,” Romney wrote, according to the book.

“There are calls to burn down your home, Mitch; to smuggle guns into DC, and to storm the Capitol. I hope that sufficient security plans are in place, but I am concerned that the instigator—the President—is the one who commands the reinforcements the DC and Capitol police might require,” he said.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4202800-mcconnell-didnt-reply-to-romneys-text-warning-about-jan-6-book/

3 Likes

Romney’s been doing work to distance himself from the entire Trump/insurrection debacle. It’s been clear for a while he’s disgusted by what MAGA/QAnon have done to the GOP and politics in general.

I may disagree with most of his politics, but I think he honestly tries to do good. He certainly isn’t friends with the elected seditionists that still openly call for revolution on social media.

4 Likes

Leagle Eagle looks at whether the 14th Amendment disqualifies Trump:

(tl;dw: Maybe, but the Supreme Court’s probably not going to play along until there’s at least a conviction)

Also, Trump’s been warned by a court to play nice in the Colorado suit to bar him from the ballot:

I had no idea why Trump calls Leticia James “Peakaboo”. I figured she was once photographed in a strip club or something.

Nope. It’s a mixture of 2 old-timey slurs. I only even know one, the second was too archaic for me. (and I don’t need to know more slurs). Given that there is literally no alternative explanation presented for a very random nickname, I am a believer.

If curious, check the first reply to the top (non-Automod) comment. I don’t want to post even censored slurs here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/17eoipa/whats_up_with_trump_calling_new_york_ag_leticia/

Edit: Just realized this isn’t related to his coup, just to his already-lost fraud case. Not sure it’s better in Darndest Things and I’m not aware of a public racism thread, this is good enough.

2 Likes

Wow, one of those is a word I’ve never seen, and don’t even know what the missing letters are. But i don’t need to know more slurs, either. And i agree, the explanation is compelling.

I have no insights about “peekaboo”. I just can’t believe this man-child was the POTUS and is his party’s favourite to run again.

3 Likes

I went down the rabbit hole of that reddit thread, and found a post that spelled out the first term using symbols ( @$$, etc.)
I jad heard that term, never knew it was a slurbin origin, but the definition i associated with it was the “southern definition,” of “lazy, useless” that is obviously racist when given a second of thought.

Jenna Ellis pleads guilty in Georgia

Recommendation: $5,000 fine, 5 years of probation. I’m sure that will really show her and serve as a deterrent to others.

I thought her disciplinary case before the Colorado state bar was still ongoing. I’m shocked [but should I really be? Rant on professional discipline reserved for another day] she got only a censure and a $224 fine.

2 Likes

Like the sentences of Powell and Chesebro, I imagine the plea deal was in exchange for valuable evidence/testimony vs the other co-conspirators. The 3 lawyers seem to be central to some of the shenanigans, so their cooperation with the prosecution may be pretty damning.

3 Likes

Yeah punishment is light for sure, but this is how you build a RICO case. At least that’s what I learned from Rudy Guliani I think.

5 Likes

Were it not, I would be furious at probation and lunch money sentence. As it stands I reserve judgment until I see what comes of it.

1 Like

Quoted from
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/10/24/another-trump-lawyer-who-pushed-to-overturn-2020-election-pleads-guilty-00123163

As an attorney who is also a Christian, I take my responsibilities as a lawyer very seriously and I endeavor to be a person of sound moral and ethical character in all of my dealings,” Ellis said.
But after the 2020 election, “I failed to do my due diligence,” she said.

Ah, one of my favorite cards. The indirect “Christians have higher morals than non-Christians” card. I haven’t picked up on this language since George W. Bush would frequently say "XX is a good man, a Christian " or “man of faith”. As if being a Christian somehow elevates one to a higher ethical compass than other human beings.

end rant>

5 Likes

You can hear the whole statement here, including the crocodile tears:

Here is a quote from the wife of El-Chapo during her husband’s trial that is the first time I remember seeing the man of faith = good person card:

“This situation that we are forging through right now is difficult and heavy,” she said. “However, I have faith and I am convinced that God puts us only through obstacles that we can overcome, and I trust that it will be how it is.”

1 Like

On Twitter, Andrew Weismann has pointed out that Ellis agreed to fully cooperate with investigators, whereas Chesebro and Powell only agreed to testify. That requires that she participate in extensive interviews and possibly give prosecutors new information. He also found it meaningful that she plead to aiding and abetting false statements, meaning that there must be someone (cough Giuliani cough) who was being abetted that she intends to directly implicate.

1 Like

I don’t generally have a problem with Christians, but typically people saying, “As a Christian” sounds to me awfully similar to “not to sound racist…”

In both cases I immediately think, "Oh no what is about to happen here

(Acknowledging the vast majority of religious are okay peeps)

2 Likes

Related ive a friend from china. His brother is dating an indian girl. Buddy tells me that her family calls him a chink. Today. Like in 2023. Apparently racism between indians and chinese is alive and well.

I havent heard that word in 40 years, since i left redneck territory.

I take it you don’t work with armor a lot.