The Attempted Coup of the United States of America

I mean, I guess you can pick and choose your comedians, but it seems like a very high standard to me. Especially if he didn’t actually defend trump or vote Trump twice or even once. Maybe should move this to another thread. I was mostly just wondering about Fallon in the first place, not start a fight.

I feel like you’re looking for another word that’s not litigated. I’ll let you try to figure it out.

Doing something that’s wrong once is a mistake. Doing it more than once isn’t. Doing it eleventeen times isn’t an accident. Standing by your decision after it’s clear it was a mistake isn’t a lapse of judgment.

Then again, I’m old enough to remember when the Party of Personal Responsibility demanded that people be held accountable for their repeated bad actions and that they had to atone for them or suffer punishment. When the same thing was demanded of the members of the PoPR, then they recoiled in horror and invented Cancel Culture to justify their not having to atone for anything.

This is a fantastic point. The media however you define it gave Trump all kinds of free airtime - to the exclusion of all his other primary candidates, to the exclusion of actual news, and eventually to the exclusion of Clinton. They saw ratings, which meant $$$ and they chased it like prostitutes running after the serial killer driving a Rolls-Royce throwing out $1 bills even when they knew the guy driving was a serial killer. Money > principles and the likelihood that putting him in power would ruin the nation.

It’s still going on now. OK, yes, he’s POTUS, but they still cover some of the most inane shit from him at times. Almost encourage it. Network executives and those who went out of their way to parrot and trumpet Trump’s words are culpable, and none of them have yet stepped out and said um, you know what, I think we made a mistake. And, after 1/20 a number of them will still cover every lunatic-fueled antic he displays as if it’s important, and they’ll spend countless hours wasting time breathing over it. It needs to stop. Not soon, now.

I think a case could be made that we shouldn’t ever treat presidential candidates as celebrities to be interviewed on TV, and that Trump is the outcome of that More… But I’d say that’s more a consequence of american democracy than a specific media person who didn’t go far enough in breaking the tradition fast enough.

There are other media personalities who have been repeating and defending Trump’s lies for years. They are definitely to be cancelled (not that that means anything from me)

I’m sure this has already been mentioned… but I find it very satisfying that a bunch are now being identified and punished because they didn’t wear masks.

2 Likes

Waiting for the calls for compassionate release because they have COVID.

The problem is he is so darn entertaining until you see how awful he really is. Once your eyes are opened he’s not entertaining anymore. Unfortunately we all figured that out at different rates and for different reasons. Some still haven’t figured it out and some see him for what he is and love it.

What is the difference between The Capitol and Mordor?

I think I recall some soul searching after he got elected. One change – in 2015/2016 when Trump told lies they just treated him like any other candidate. The assumed his opponent(s) would challenge them or people would look for a fact checker. Now they are more likely to put the challenge right in the news story. It’s almost a recitation "President Trump asserted again, without any evidence, that … " I think I’ve also seen “already refuted”.

But yep, we just can’t look away. His 12 hours off Twitter was kind of weird.

They (occasionally) fact-check (which they have done more often as he went later into this term), but they still give him all the oxygen they can to breathe every lie he can spout. People hear that, they don’t stick around for the corrections.

It’s like saying you’re going to hold the arsonist accountable by not letting him burn down more buildings and you don’t want people cheering him on, but you let him run free and keep giving him gasoline and matches and kindling and then are shocked at what happens next.

See it was all the fault of Antifa! Glad we cleared that up.

According to polling, Republican support for this attempted coup dropped from 45% on 1/6 to 18% on 1/7. I’m guessing this is due to the pivot from patriots to an antifa false flag operation, rather than any real change of heart.

1 Like

Twitter to Trump and Trump Jr.: you’re banned.

Might be worthy of its own thread, because Twitter is done fucking around with a shitload of accounts. Flynn is banned, Sidney Powell is banned, Q-spouting accounts are getting nuked.

1 Like

The Times of India really went above and beyond with this headline. Well done. 20210108_191143

1 Like

donald was banned again??? what did he do today? i missed it!

oh wow, Trump was permabanned from twitter!

yeah, you should make a thread.

i’m picturing the look on donalds face when he saw that he was permabanned :laughing:

Created

So if they impeach him they can ban him from office also so he could not run again. Basically they can destroy his political career. It might be a good idea to get rid of him that way.