The 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, in 2021

Fixed that.
And, two of “our goals” were own-goals by NZ.

Wondering why NBC is using a shitty score bug that doesn’t identify the teams by the colors of their jerseys, which is the optimal setup in nearly every team sport.

I haven’t watched the parade of nations yet. Recorded it and probably will watch tonight.

But I do remember reading that the whole nation was banned from the Olympics for doping.

BUT certain Russian athletes who are suspected to be clean would be invited to participate (presumably contingent on enhanced doping protocols). So officially the nation of Russia is not participating but certain Russian athletes are. They don’t get to carry their flag or hear their national anthem because that would mean that Russia was participating. So they get the Olympic flag / Olympic anthem. Russia will win precisely zero medals at the Olympics, but certain Russian athletes have a chance to medal.

Somewhat reminiscent of the 1992 “Unified Team” which was actually anything but.

watched it a bit ago… State-sponsored doping to be exact. Apparently the ban started with the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyongchang and continues through the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing. It was originally slated to continue through to the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris but was reduced on appeal.

Other sporting bodies are encouraged to not allow Russia, and to strip Russia of any honors of hosting international events.

At least that’s what I gathered from a tiny amount of research.

Also a bunch of medals have been stripped from Russian athletes going back to the 2006 Olympics, I believe.

Apparently they believe the state-sponsored doping has been going on much longer than that (1987 was a date that I saw claimed), but urine samples can only be tested going back 10 years and the SHTF in 2015 or thereabouts.

While the earlier samples had originally passed muster, better testing has shown that many of the athletes who tested clean were merely evading detection.

I knew that Russia was being punished for doping. I was mostly commenting that it seems odd that the athletes get to compete for “the Olympic committee of Russia” anyway.

We should really just move on and allow doping imo. We let athletes do all sorts of crazy dangerous stuff like going downhill at 60 mph or getting brain damage by constantly getting hit on the head. But take too much asthma medicine and you’re banned for 2 years.

2 Likes

We could have a dope and a no dope division.

1 Like

Noted the 2 own-goals. “Illegally scoring” is a way to put that and I can’t argue against describing it like that.

In the broadcast, I thought colors matched jerseys. Maybe it doesn’t. Tells you how much I’ve paid attention to other soccer games going on.

We haz medals? 4-2-4 so far. China has 6 goals. Didn’t realize it was such a hotbed for weightlifting.

I’ve only watched the USA matches, and the score bug (I had to look that term up) used a grey background and black font for both teams. Probably forced on by IOC, since they (NBC) do great on EPL broadcasts (exception: when they cut to a SKYTV broadcast the score bug does not employ the optimum).
Should definitely use it for NBA these days, with many teams eschewing the “lighter colors at home” standard.

Start of men’s triathlon had strange false start where media boat was blocking 1/3 of the athletes so they could not dive in. Event officials had to get the rest to come back and restart.

The Austrian rider had a shock win in the women’s cycle road race. She holds a mathematics degree from Cambridge so she’s good with numbers. The other favored riders, who miscounted the number of riders in the breakaway, not so much.

I saw that though. The article I read had a funny quote where one of the Dutch riders said something like: we thought we had it: there was a three rider breakaway, and we caught X and Y.

Saw a spoiler for the women’s gymnastics team final.

Simone Biles withdrew from the team competition for medical reasons. Russia won gold, USA second.

Be interesting if she is able to come back for apparatus finals if she qualified for any and the all around.

Also, after beating Japan in group play (2-1) to go undefeated against all teams in the Olympics group play, the USA lost to Japan in the gold medal game 2-0 in Softball.

.the pitching is really something. Ueno is super.

I’m watching Canadian coverage. It’s good, and it’s terrible for me. They seem to have covered everything, and in really big chunks. I’m used to the “highlights version” and I’m not sure what to do when faced with a 3.5 hour video of men’s gymnastics finals, or whatever.

Didn’t it use to be called mental toughness? There have always been people who have cracked under the pressure of intense competition. Now it is mental health and they should be held in the upmost respect for dropping out of the competition because they couldn’t handle the pressure?

Seems like another “No Mas” moment.

2 Likes

She could probably cut back on the degree of difficulty and still have helped the team more than the alternate.

Also, maybe we need coaches that will mentally abuse her a little more and make her compete? Pretty sure that’s healthy.

I don’t understand how you train so hard for the premier event in your sport and walk away in the middle. It would be like Tom Brady after the 1st quarter of the Super Bowl going, guys I’m not feeling it I’m just going to sit out the next 3 quarters.

She’s dragging her team down though, Brady would sit out too if something’s making him underperform and there’s no way to fix it.

2 Likes