The 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo, in 2021

That was discussed in one article I read on the game. Something like 30 or so was the average age of the starters, and the subs were like 32, 35 and 39 or something like that. Don’t remember what they said about Sweden but they did note their team was significantly younger.

Here is something: USWNT vs Sweden history in Olympics, Women's World Cup - Sports Illustrated

Prior to the expansion of Olympic rosters from 18 to 22 players, with the inclusion of alternates on the full squad, the average age for the USWNT was 30.8 years. Now, it’s 29.7, but the point stands: While there are some young players on the rise and others firmly in their prime, this is not a young team.

I didn’t see anything about the average age of the Swedish team.

Maybe on nothing. I mostly watch Netflix and broadcast TV, but my antenna doesn’t pick up NBC. And it looks like NBC won’t let me watch anything but interviews and crap on my Roku without a subscription to NBC sports, which is pricy.

Hulu or YouTube TV apparently will carry it, but it’s $65 for one month. Am i really going to watch $65 worth of coverage?

Grumble grumble

Last Olympics i got the free trial for Hulu (so i can’t do that again) and ended up only watching about 3 hours, if that.

Of course, i was busier then, because no pandemic.

YouTube TV has a 7 or 14 Day free trial I believe

You could always just use a different email…

It says 5 days.

Yeah. And i have dozens of email addresses. But that feels like crossing a line.

Get a VPN and watch the BBC coverage? I did that back in 2014 and actually much preferred it to the US coverage team.

2 Likes

Also, if i have to pay for something, is there any way i could pay for the Canadian coverage, rather than the US coverage?

:iatp:

Husband did that this morning and watched the opening ceremonies.

The music the competitors are walking out to he recognizes from video games like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. I hope they come out to some Attack on Titan music :laughing:

This is an older roster than the 2015 World Cup team, which was about 29.4 and intentionally constructed to win the tournament by eschewing player development of the youngsters at the national level. Even the 2019 World Cup team had an average age of about 29.3, and that went fine.

Do I think we need to get younger? Yeah, especially at forward where our best players are 32 or older. [Lynn Williams is the lone forward under 32, and at age 28 she’s only got 37 caps.] Wouldn’t hurt if we got younger on defense as well. USA 0-3 Sweden isn’t a death knell for the squad, but it is a wake-up call that they can’t just step on the pitch and roll like they have, and they’ll need to go WW to make sure they get out unless someone else gets waxed by Sweden too. I’d rather get a crappy performance out of the way now instead of float through the group stage and then get shocked in the quarters.

That’s not a moon

1 Like

Any advice re VPNs?

ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and SurfShark are typically the three I see recommended. I think Express is supposed to be the fastest for streaming purposes. I’m certainly no expert in this area.

Yesterday, I see a story that Bam Adebayo broke an unwritten rule by taking Kevin Durrant’s made shot out of the net and not giving it back to him.

Then today there is a story that the whole USA Olympic Team sang happy birthday to KD in the tunnel before entering the stadium for the opening ceremonies. But KD’s birthday isn’t until September.

I wonder who started the birthday song for KD?

Gotta be Dreymond

Did Tanzania have the team chef carry the flag for the opening ceremony? Seems like it

USWNT up 1-0 2-0 2-0 2-0 2-0 2-0 at the half on New Zealand.

USWNT 6-1 New Zealand. We scored as many goals as we had waived off, and got 2 own goals to boot. Puts us in control of the 2nd spot in the group, could set up a WC2019 rematch in the quarters.

I’m watching the opening ceremonies. It’s… Very different. No spectators is bizarre. Almost all the athletes in the procession of nations are masked. Many of the masks reflect the national flags. A few athletes are unmasked, which i understand. But a few are wearing masks below their nose. Really?

The signs are all Manga themed, designed to look like speech bubbles. I don’t recognize videogame music, but i gather all the music is from video games.

A lot of the athletes look serious, but the Afghan athletes look anxious. I don’t think Japan is a good nation to ask for asylum, though. (Apparently, one guy from Uganda fled the Olympic village thinking he’d somehow hide in Japan.)

I don’t understand the “Russian Olympic committee” thing.

I think it’s because they cheat.

1 Like