Thanksgiving 2020 Discussion Thread

Staying home for Thanksgiving. One side of the family thinks we are visiting for Christmas… that’s up in the air. I’m against it but might give in to risking our health. At least we won’t spread it, since afterward we’ll be quarantined indefinitely.

Holy crap! I think I’ve been taking freedom of religion too much for granted.

We have too big a Turkey for too few people. Were going to have 11 total at my MIL but cancled that and staying home with immediate family. No clue how 6 of us are going through a 16.5 lb turkey and I’m not a big left over turkey fan.

If anyone has some good leftover turkey recipes, hit me up.

To be clear, it’s banned while working in a public sector job.

I think it’s fine to ban religious gear in a public sector job. we should do that here too.

I don’t agree - are you going to tell Orthodox Jews that they can’t wear a kippah on their head? Good luck trying to get elected with that policy.

1 Like

We are planning to have a couple friends over, but now forecast is saying 60% chance of t-storms. I wouldn’t feel comfortable unless we could eat outdoors.

hmmmm, yeah, maybe it’s not a great idea afterall.

Not to mention Congress passed a rule to allow head coverings on the House floor January of last year to accommodate Ilhan Omar, when it was banned since 1837. Good luck reversing that.

There is both religious and secular celebration of Christmas in the US, and most non-Christians celebrate the secular version. But Jews are very into avoiding other people’s remote celebrations. Our rabbi never let his kids celebrate Halloween, for instance. And I don’t know anyone who seriously celebrates Halloween as a religious holiday. So most Jews don’t celebrate Christmas. Or are embarrassed that they celebrate Christmas.

My family always did celebrate Christmas, and i went through years of feeling awkward about that. But of course, we never celebrated Jesus’ birthday or anything. We celebrated because it was dark outside and we all wanted lights and warmth and good food and especially the company of our family. Heck, we celebrated that we all had time off work.

Just like our Chinese and Japanese and Indian neighbors, none of whom were Christian.

But we hid our celebration from other Jews, because it’s considered shameful for a Jew to celebrate Christmas.

There are some religions where attire, or the wearing of a distinct garment, is prescribed for the faith’s adherents.

That particular bill in Québec essentially means that devout followers of such religions are prohibited from working in public sector jobs (including education, public transport, and most medical jobs).

(I wonder: is Hydro Québec considered “public sector” for this purpose?)

I took back what I said. That just sounds like flat out discrimination.

Here is a lesson everyone can learn the easy way. The hard way is a lot worse:

My wife tells me our locals (County or State) now advise not inviting anyone outside your own home to Thanksgiving. We have a 16lb turkey thawing, so it’s gonna get cooked.

Our synagogue has a lot of people in mixed marriages so it’s expected that a lot of our congregants will celebrate both holidays. As long as we don’t serve kosher candy canes during Oneg or sing Adon Olam to the tune of Jingle Bells we should be ok. (There is one common Adon Olam tune that sounds like “All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth” - if I ever lead services at that time I might mention that as a joke.)

1 Like

The brine is going, everything except the turkey is coming out of a box or can, and we will have more leftovers than we can fit in our fridge, but it’s going to be a great year! Trying to make the most of it.

The only thing I’m really mourning the loss of right now is my little tradition of going out to the local dive bar the night before. But next year will be lit.

oh right, tonight is traditionally one of the biggest drinking nights of the year on thanksgiving eve. i haven’t really partook in that cause i’m not cool.

Yeah I learned about this tradition at right about the expected point in the life of an actuary

I am almost 11 months “sober” so I wouldn’t have been drinking, but it’s the tradition I like. The same place, the same people, everything changes but some things can still feel the same. That’s the nice part.

(I don’t love using that term really, because I think it devalues the hard work addicts have to do, and I was never an addict, but it’s the best term for it, and I apologize if that seems insensitive to anyone)

yeah, i get traditions. i have a tradition on christmas eve with listy to go to this restaurant, but guess this year is out!

i kinda hate the restaurant, but it’s tradition and such. i like the tradition.

Agreed. Night before Thanksgiving for me was going out or bringing in (pizza-centric), because tomorrow is a huge kitchen day.
This year, we’re going to be having dinner at 2PM, so prep time is squeezed. Gotta get up early, plus last-minute tidying. (We usually go elsewhere, but still prepare a turkey, because everyone else who cooks a turkey in the family sucks at it. Proof is in the picked-over bones of our (my wife’s) turkey on the same table as other, still half-carved turkeys.) No cans or boxes, though. That reminds me, got to start making the homemade ice cream. Tomorrow mashed potatoes. Might peel those tonight. Taking turkey out of brine some time today, drying out the skin so it gets crisp.