Talk me into/out of getting a new phone

I just looked up the rumor sites – it’s a shame my battery didn’t hold up for another couple of months, because Apple is expected to release a new MacBookPro in October that I would want. They are ditching the gimmicky touch bar, increasing the screen resolution, and adding back a lot of standard ports. Or so the rumors say.

Decent computers hold up. All the laptops are n my office are 6 year old lenovos. They all are like new.
I put some ram and an SSD drive and they work great, and are tanks. They outlast students using them as their desktop at work.
Well, one of them complained when they had to do some video editing, but I guess that’s to be expected.

Quick tip: add the “where’s my iPhone?” app. My wife lost her phone at a wedding reception in what I define as the middle of nowhere. After an hour of searching the reception area and texting and calling the the phone, we gave up, and went back to our bar/hotel. We used the app on the iPad we brought, started to ping it and to pinpoint the location, which was close to the reception area, but no way to know if it was getting triangulated or not, being in the middle of nowhere, for another hour, then decided to go back to the reception area in the morning. Since we were in the middle of nowhere, the reception was a bit spotty, kept pointing to another motel down the way. We go there anyway, maybe someone there has taken it (thinking 50% stolen, 50% a kid took it to play with, 50% mistaken identity). Turns out, someone took it because they thought it was their daughter’s, and didn’t understand what the pinging all night and morning was all about (couldn’t locate the source of it).
The app was extremely good at pinpointing it. To the exact motel room.

1 Like

Yep, my daughter thought her phone was stolen in a yogurt shop. Looked everywhere, it was gone. Find my phone app kept pinging to that general area tho. Went back to the yogurt shop the next day and it had somehow gotten stuck between the cushions of a seat.

But mostly we use it to find our phones in the house.

1 Like

I use www.callmylostphone.com for that. It works well if your ringer is on…less so if not.

1 Like

THere has got to be an app to call a phone and force the phone’s ringer to max volume to help locate it.

If there isn’t, please disregard and I have to start to figure out how to make money off of the idea.

3 Likes

I used the same Lenovo laptop from 2008-2018 and it worked fine. The battery started dying, could have replaced but I rarely used it anywhere it couldn’t be plugged in (and the battery was fine for 10-15 minutes). Finally the video card died, and since it was integrated to the motherboard I decided it was time to fully break it. Around $750 in 2008, can’t complain.

If the battery had just stopped holding a charge, I might not have replaced it. The timing is a little unfortunate, because it looks like Apple is going to release an upgrade I would actually like in a month or two. I intentionally bought the old model when I got it to avoid some of the gimmicks in the current model.

iPhone13 just arrived. Surprised I didn’t have to do much to get my stuff from one phone to the other. Just needed wifi and put the phones next to each other for about a half hour. I don’t have an outlet that supports the charge pin though (its not the USB type - great).

1 Like

Yeah they changed the charger with the 11, I think? Although my older charger seems to work fine. Still, I bought a couple of the new ones, thinking one for home & one for car before I realized I have no way to plug this into my car. (Again, the old one works, but is it bad to use it?) Will have to remedy this before my next road trip.

This is something I really appreciate about the Pixel phones, switching from one android to another has been somewhat of a hassle IME, but my Pixel 3a handled it seamlessly. Could be that other androids had gotten better at it too since the previous time I switched, but the Pixel was the first time there was no needed intervention to upgrade to the next phone.

Yeah, the last time I upgraded (X to 12) I was quite pleased (almost giddy) at how easy the transfer was. The time before (6 to X) was more tedious (involving backing up to iTunes on the ol’ pc), as I recall.

It’s perfectly fine to use the old chargers. The newer USB-C will charge faster though. I think the old USB chargers were 5W with the iPhone, and the USB-C charges at 15W or 20W.

2 Likes

Yay!

Yeah, my latest Android phone I didn’t even need to redo the “what does my home page look like” stuff. It just upgraded seamlessly.

2 Likes

ima jus gon throw this in here:
“Apple’s iPhone 8 family was the first generation of Apple phones to support wireless charging…(https://www.moshi.com/en/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-wireless-charging/)”

So, that’s an option for charging, too.

Although…i have a few apps, like my email app and my text app, that require me to explicitly authorize new hardware. That’s a bit of a nuisance.

I have a wireless charger on my desk, it’s how I primarily charge these days. And I got one for the car, I set my phone on it and it has an electric motor that clamps onto my phone, and then charges it wirelessly. Highly recommend. Should I take this over to the ‘something extravagant you bought just because’ thread?

1 Like

It’s not extravagant! It’s a NECESSITY!!!

1 Like

Get the new phone.

Money you don’t spend is never yours.