Talk me into/out of getting a new phone

I’m an Android user, but I feel like phones have worked well enough for several years now. I usually get a new phone when I get frustrated by the battery life. There’s definitely a difference in camera quality between flagship phones and midrange phones – when I dropped to a midgrade phone that was the only thing I missed. (The screen is also better on a flagship phone, but for how I use my phone I didn’t care.) Right now I’m back to a flagship phone, mostly because I wanted a phone I could wash regularly during the pandemic – I bought it when there was a lot more concern about fomites, and of course before I was vaccinated. (fwiw, i did wash it regularly for several months, and it’s still completely fine, so that worked as advertised.)

But I don’t think you’ll be blown away by something new. Unless your old phone has a dying battery or otherwise has some feature you don’t like.

I don’t put my phone in a case, so I do care a lot what it feels like. I returned one phone because it was too blocky and slippery and just felt uncomfortable in my hand.

This was me 15 months ago. Did not get a new galaxy whatever. Got the one that is like $7-$10 a month (so 240 max).

No regrets. For how I use it…great. if I break it…will be less angry than if I had nicer one.

1 Like

Anxiously awaiting updated pricing on the apple website.

I still bought a galaxy, just the cheap plastic fe version and put a memory card in it. The highest resolution camera is the selfie camera, because the younger crowd. I guess I can try awkwardly using that if I want more than 12mp.

My kids have A11s which look pretty much the same as mine. I do enjoy how smooth the video is on my new phone so I doubt I could live with theirs. Samsung has a nice range of price points. I suspect something in the middle would be just fine as well.

1 Like

So it looks like the phone is $100 less than last week but they’ll give me $20 less for my current phone so I maybe saved $80. But last I checked my carrier had not update their info so I’ll have to check back.

I’ve always appreciated Joanna Stern’s opinion:

You may be able to read it here: https://archive.md/yJ7iT

1 Like

You drove me head first into a pay wall

I just edited my post. I hope your head is okay.

hmmm…that didn’t seem too help much. I’ll look at it when I get home & maybe post something more useful…and maybe get you a cold pack. You’re starting to develop a welt on your forehead.

I pre ordered the iphone 13 mini. It was the same price as the iphone 12, but with the newer chip, more memory, and size closer to my current phone. My hands are tiny so I liked the smaller size.

I think there was $100 difference between the 12 mini and 13 mini, but maybe I’ll keep the new phone 6 years instead of 5.

AT&T is giving me $350 for my trade in so I’m locked into them for another 3 years.

This is a really big deal for me. I have some fairly large hands, and a 6" screen is my sweet spot. I bought an iPhone Max once and hated it.

I just bought the iPhone 13. Financing was 0% and 36 months for $799 with trade in w/ AT&T. My iPhone-6s (i think) was no longer keeping a convenient charge and was no longer working with my CarPlay

2 Likes

6S is pretty ancient for a phone. I have 3 to replace this fall and they are all iphone 8, and I am glad they lasted 4 years.

Then I got a good deal from the iPhone 6! iirc that one cost me around $1000 at the time.

1 Like

Yeah…I’m surprised you got any value for the 6…when I traded in my 6 to get the X I got nuthin! …except a set of iPods.

When I traded in my X to get the 12…well, the amount of money I got for the X was substantially more than the value of holding on to the X for two more years…imo

My XS Max has been pretty good for 3 years now. Battery still holding up well.

I don’t keep many photos and no music or movies on my phone. Apps and podcasts are the biggest memory users. I still have 1/3 of my 64G available.

I might just see how much they will give me toward a 13, because who know if the X will be able to be traded in for the XIV.

Not a phone, but I have a “late 2015 model” MacBook Pro, that I purchased in 2016. I just mailed it off to Apple with a chunk of cash to have them replace the battery. I’m still pretty happy with that laptop.

My early 2020 HP Spectre has already developed some flakiness, though. There’s no way it’s going to last as long, and when it’s battery starts to swell up, I’m replacing the laptop, not the battery.

Yeah, my daughter still uses a macbook pro that I bought in 2014.

As much as I like to b!tch about the initial costs on Apple products, they seem to have longevity that other brands don’t.

When I bought the kids each an iphone 8 in 2017 I told them that they had to take care of it for 4 years because if it were lost, damaged, or stolen, they would get a flip phone replacement. Now 4 years later, they held up their end of the bargain but all want new phones for Christmas. So this Christmas will be expensive, but I won’t be at a loss as to what to shop for. Phones, phone cases, screen protectors and that’s basically all they are getting.