Subway, Arby's to merge into amazingly gross sandwich company

I don’t know how you managed to not run into one, but you’re not missing much. BWW is… it’s fine. It’s overpriced and not the best wings, but it’s passable, imo.

in Ohio/Kentucky, Rooster’s has much better wings. Although honestly, air frying wings at home ruined ordering wings out for me. :man_shrugging: (And needing to maintain healthy cholesterol levels ruined having them at all too often. :sob: )

I probably shouldn’t know this.

1 Like

Again I rarely eat fast food other than road trips, but the Egg McMuffin and the Egg White delight are 2 of my go to’s. Tip: you can replace the canadian bacon with regular bacon on either.

I like McGriddles but very rarely get them. Same with the sausage McMuffin with egg. Maybe 4-6 times a year combined.

I broil wings at home with salt and pepper once or twice a week and if I get good quality wings, they taste amazing. I used to really like BWW but now I can just buy their sauce and add to home-cooked wings every now and then. The better quality of the wings I buy make them much better than those in the restaurant.

1 Like

Sigh… do you also use an air fryer? My partner’s been asking for one for years and I keep saying, “We already have a convection oven”.

No, I broil in an old fashioned oven. I used to do it in a toaster oven before that.

The dream is to one day have a smoker. There’s a barbecue place down the street from work that has amazing smoked wings.

I don’t make wings more than a few times a year, but when I do I make them on the grill. Like the broiler method, high heat is necessary to get a crispy skin. I like the touch of smoke from the grill, but YMMV. I prefer them to the fried wings you get at restaurants.

Wing prices went way up during the pandemic, and haven’t dropped much since :frowning: Chickens got hit with the typical inflation drivers: labor shortages, fuel costs, feed costs… but they also got hit hard by bird flu. This article is several months old, but I think that the bird flu issue is still ongoing: Bird flu outbreak: The costs of avian influenza continues to add up

Egg prices have fallen more though even though chickens are still expensive. I would think chickens should be cheaper here since Georgia is basically the chicken production capital of the US, but it still is relatively pricey. We tend to eat a lot of chicken.

1 Like

So, perhaps it is both supply and demand that determine the price of things? Genius!

Sure, but transportation costs here should be lower than most given adjacent supply

They’re not that expensive. I bought my ex an electric one for his birthday and I wanna say it was around $100. Then there’s the wood chips which aren’t too bad. I’m debating if I want to buy one for myself now that I can’t use his, but I probably won’t use it much.

Not yet, but hopefully soon. I’m not a fan of wings - too much effort for too little food imo. I’m sitting here eating my habit burger for lunch, staring at an empty Wing Stop (that recently replaced a Subway). So the wings still exist here for now.

Agreed. Like crab legs or bone marrow.
Now, I will eat wings off a whole chicken, but that’s after a thigh and half a breast.

And they’re bulky and take up a lot of space. “Air Fryers” are small convection ovens that pre-heat marginally faster. And they don’t “fry” anything.

That’s my take… We have a perfectly good oven, just give it like 6 minutes to pre-heat. Only way I can see the air fryer being better is if you’re somebody that needs to open the oven door every 2 minutes.

Also, an Air Fryer isn’t any more healthy if you’re reheating something that was previously fried, such as frozen french fries that you bought at the grocery store.

The air fryer is the only kitchen gadget I let my wife keep. I have trashed everything else or relegated it to the basement (k-cups, juicer/blender, instapot, crock pot, George Foreman grill, you name it).

It is basically a small convection oven that preheats in seconds. It really speeds things up especially for reheating dry foods. My only gripe is that it gets dirty quickly and the tray is quite small, only good for 1-2 people - way underpowered for an entire family

This guy air fries. I also hate kitchen gadgets, they take up space and you have to get them out, and put them back. I’ve allowed a few. The sous vide thing, because that takes my steak game up to 11. The Foodsaver that lets you freeze foods without freezer burn. And the air fryer, I agree with all of your points pro and con, and will add it’s nice to use it when it’s 108° outside and I don’t want to fire up the oven.

I assume the air fryer is less well-insulated but it’s heating such a small thing. Anecdotally, it doesn’t cause the AC to kick on like the oven does.

1 Like