Spicy Regret

I have hue bulbs activated by a motion sensor in my bathroom. They aren’t neon, but not having to mess with the bathroom light switch is one aspect of the office potty experience I’m happy to have ported over to a WFH existence.

(Except when the lights time out while I’m in the shower.)

I think you meant Englishes

1 Like

I did a motion sensor in the laundry room, 11/10, would recommend. It’s not at the top of my list but adding one to bathrooms seems like a solid idea. EXCEPT for my upcoming master bathroom, I’m doing the old-fashioned push button light switches and those switches are so satisfying.

Yes. Those is hard.

Spicy doesn’t give me digestion regret, but sweet sure does. Lots of misery after office cake parties.

That sounds terrible. I don’t want bright lights suddenly coming on if I happen to get up in the middle of the night.

Can you set these up to be bright during the day and dimmer at night using something like If This Then That? @Maphistos_Sidekick

They make too much noise at night.

Actually, that’s EXACTLY the reason why I put them in.

Previously, when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I had to choose between going in the dark, or blinding myself.

Now, I have the lights set to come on full during the day, part-way in the couple of hours before bedtime, and only one bulb comes on at minimum level between usual bedtime and usual wake-up time.

(I have a similar setup on other hue bulbs in the house - reduced light in the hours before bed, and a couple of strategic lights that come on at minimum level if motion is detected during sleeping hours.)

Hmmm, I may have to look into that.

You could do it with IFTT, or optionally there are a couple of ways to have Hue’s sensors react in time-sensitive ways.

I do it in a more complex way:

• I use Tasker on my Android phone, with the Autohue plugin
  • I also use the “Sleep as Android” app on my phone, to dynamically set my alarm based on my calendar, and to capture when I go to bed
  • I have the motion sensors set to turn the bulbs to the most-recently used setting.
  • When I wake up in the morning, Tasker gets an intent from Sleep as Android, and calls out through Autohue to set the lights in my house to my preferred daytime settings, and then turn most of them off. If the lights are actually needed, they’ll come on again when the sensors detect motion.
  • At sunset and again ten hours before my next morning alarm time, I repeat the process, with dimmer light settings.
  • When I tell my phone that I’ve gone to bed, the process is repeated again, moving over to minimal/nightlight settings.

For most people, programming the light transitions at certain fixed times of day is probably sufficient (and would avoid the need to “prime” the lights at new bright ness settings, the way I do). However, my bedtime can vary (e.g. when I do go into the office, I get up a few hours earlier than on a normal day); it annoyed me to have the lights come on at an “evening” setting after I’ve gone to bed early, and I kind of like having the lighting step down as part of getting my mind ready for sleep.

1 Like

WFH tomorrow = hot chicken tonight

2 Likes

don’t forget to mute your phone when you are on the can on a conference call

Don’t most companies hire out their janitorial services? Lowest bidder and what do you think they are going to do, splurge on TP?

But I agree, if I were in charge of contracting the janitorial services, I would make sure I wrote into the contract that they had to use a certain quality of TP.

Of course, now that I am WFH, I no longer have to worry about the quality of the TP in the bathroom at work.

1 Like

Office cake is not worth the calories. Generally IMO cake is 95% of the time not worth it. Now someone makes some homemade brownies, cookies, candies or something like that and I am in. If you truly want me involved let’s go get ice cream.

Also I can take a dump anywhere as long as the toilet is clean. Humana has great bathrooms and after going to our new office yesterday it seems they have improved the toilet paper since the pandemic.

We put a motion light in our hall closet. Recommend.

Now you have to worry about the quantity of TP at home!

[first thought in VA’s brain]Well . . . the toilet’s clean . . . let’s go take a dump on the boss’s chair . . . [/thought]

1 Like

Same. The wife asked why I was doing that but she now loves it.

We also have a motion sensitive light switch in the kitchen. We often enter the house there and the switch isn’t right by the door, so it’s very handy to walk in and have the lights turn on.

I may get a smart bulb for the living room where the front door is.