Snore prevention

Anyone tried any of the mouthpiece snore preventers?

Someone in my household might benefit directly (while all others benefit indirectly). But CPAP might, for now, seem like overkill.

TIA

Nasal strips work for me.
Ear plugs work for others.

I dropped some weight. No more snoring.
Most of the men in my peer group here are on CPAP. I know because I spend a week in a tent hunting with them. I can hear the guys in the next tent snoring that don’t use cpap. The guys in my tent on CPAP, not a whisper.
Sorry, no experience with the mouthpiece.

Has this person been evaluated for sleep apnea? Untreated sleep apnea puts a lot of stress on the heart (and other systems), so it’s not something you want to ignore. If they haven’t and they don’t want to do a formal sleep study, maybe consider an at home study?

My husband has sleep apnea and uses a CPAP machine. He would have said that he was fine before, but in reality he wasn’t well rested and would get very tired in the afternoon. He feels a lot better now that he uses the CPAP. The benefit to me is there is zero snoring. We both wish that he had gotten checked out sooner.

2 Likes

Yeah, the CPAP is way better than the snoring. For everyone involved, especially the snorer.

Many moons ago I was in a relationship with a guy who snored really badly and he ultimately did surgery: a UPPP (“u triple p”). Apparently most doctors don’t like to do that any more “because it’s not effective” but it sure helped my then-boyfriend. Worth noting is that he was 25 and in perfect physical condition. He was NOT snoring due to being overweight, which is a factor for many snorers. I have no clue if the underlying reason for the snoring impacts the efficacy of the surgery, but it seems like it might.

I also have no clue if he’s started snoring again now that he’s in his 40s, as we’re not in touch any more.

sleeping on my side helps with my snoring

I like to sleep on my back so my wife has to periodically roll me back onto my side

1 Like

:grimacing: I’d move to a different bedroom before dealing with that again.

I dentist client I had about 7 to 10 years ago screwed up his jaw with a snoring cure device. He actually sold them for a while he said. The device held your lower jaw forward slightly as you slept. He said it worked like a charm that’s why he sold them. After a couple of years of use he figured out it had made it so he could not completely bite down with his back set of molars. I don’t know the device. But if the one you’re thinking about does something with changing the position of your jaw when you sleep, I do not recommend it.

No experience with mouth guard but I do have a CPAP. Insurance pretty much forces that at home sleep study these days. I don’t really trust the place that did mine. I mean, I probably have some level of sleep apnea (tested in the mild range but all of my siblings and my parents have it) but my daughter tested at the absolute minimum level she could and still qualify as sleep apnea and they were very insistent that she needed a CPAP even though she has documented anxiety that went thru the roof with just a home study.

Also the CPAP place is supposed to let you switch out masks in the first 30 days but when I had trouble they wanted me to try longer and then when I finally got in I had maybe a week to try the replacement mask which never did work well. It’s been years and I have never “gotten used to” the CPAP but am trying it again bc lately my sleep hasn’t been great.

We spent $5k on a sleep study for my husband. They recommended some cpap machine and he tried various masks and said he would rather die of heart failure than wear one of those the rest of his life.

He dropped about 20-30 pounds and snoring hasn’t been a problem for him since. He wasn’t that big before, and he is still technically overweight, but I guess it was enough.

I think most people who try out the cpap machine love it. I’m sure their partners love it more. But I’m glad it wasn’t the route he went; I know he wouldn’t have had a good go of it.

Well FWIW, hubby travels a lot and bought a travel unit (not cheap) to facilitate bringing it with him on trips. Obviously it makes no difference to me if he snores when he is on a trip by himself. But he sleeps better with it, so he wants it.

My cardiologist sentenced me to a sleep study a bit over a year ago. They sent me home with a gadget to strap to my head…and the gadget failed to collect enough data the three times I was subjected to it, since it kept waking me up. (They don’t make those things for folks who wear size 8¼ hats, plus I’m a light sleeper.)

My cardiologist concluded that a CPAP would probably cause me more harm than good.

1 Like

Sleep studies are just lead generation machines for CPAP salespeople.

3 Likes

It’s all part of the Big Snore Industrial Complex

Yes, “Big SIC.”

Roomed in Vegas with a buddy who had a CPAP machine. Never heard him snore, ever, so I don’t have a comparison, but that machine was pretty noisy. I brought ear plugs. They worked.

or “BS Industrial Complex”

1 Like

When was this?

My stepdad had a CPAP that was kinda noisy (though quieter than his snoring, according to my mother) but hubby’s (much newer) CPAP is pretty quiet.

When he first got it, I noticed that it got noisier if he took it off to get up & use the restroom. That was kind of annoying. A quick conversation “thou shalt not leave the CPAP on when not wearing the CPAP” and it was much better after that. It’s much quieter than snoring and barely any louder than breathing IMO.

I like the sound my husband’s CPAP makes (basically a low white noise version of breathing). I like white noise at bedtime though, so we have both the CPAP and a white noise machine going at the same time.

CPAP is enough of an inconvenience for most that it should be for apnea and not snoring alone (insurance probably doesn’t cover for non-apnea snoring). One of us uses one, it works well. The other is a light enough sleeper that if it “leaks” due to moving around, they can hear it. However, the pitch of the leak is high enough that foam earplugs would be effective. Foam earplugs were not effective on the lower pitch of snoring (and no other snoring preventatives worked). When properly fastened it is extremely quiet.

I find it amazing that an insurance covered sleep study should run $5K. We sure as heck didn’t pay that. Was is it at a massage parlor?

Well my deductible was $6k and I recall it was not in network or something like that. There was definitely some sticker shock when we got that bill.