Smoking and grilling

And since the coals were still hot, there was a bonus round of Korean BBQ chicken for leftovers this week.

This thread needs more smoking/grilling pics from the other pitmasters here.

I’ll try, but I’m not sure how to attach a pic in here, 'cause old.

I put my new Weber together almost two months ago, and I still haven’t broken it in.
Things have come up, and it’s been a bit cold.

First up: gonna try to reverse-sear a tri-tip, one with my marinade overnight, the other salted overnight. Then, taste test.

Test.
Here’s the grill

It worked!!

I should start grill again.

Here is the recipe I used as the template for the shrimp tacos: Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Salsa - Once Upon a Chef

I recommend and it will definitely make the rotation of things I do periodically

It’s Friday and nice, so the grill is going. I went Spanish tonight: pinchos morunos (spanish style pork skewers) and asparagus on the grill, patatas bravas in the kitchen.

1 Like

Happy Friday! Today we are having grilled mahi mahi with citrus avocado salsa.

Decided to smoke today instead of yesterday. Monster pork chops.

Weather was beautiful today so the smoker was going

That looks like a Weber Genesis II S-335. I just bought a Genesis II SE-335 an hour ago. Mine has a black lid and the 9mm stainless grates instead of a stainless lid and the 7mm grates.

I didn’t really need a new grill as my 12 year old Weber Spirit 3 burner still works mostly fine (has some hot spots), but our new house has a natural gas hookup, so figured that was a good excuse to buy a new grill and ditch the propane tank. Plus a bigger cooking area is good for the soon to be teenage boy and his friends.

So when you say ‘smoker’, do you mean like a charcoal affair? Because that looks like what I’d call a BBQ that uses charcoal.
My smoker looks more like this:

That Bradley is $900 Canadian. Check out this Kalamazoo smoker: $14,975 U.S.

https://kalamazoogourmet.com/products/freestanding-smoker-cabinet/

Or this handcrafted Texas smoker, a bargain at only $8,500

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain. It’s a charcoal bullet style smoker that can also function as a grill. So the wings were smoked then seared over coals

It is the 345 via Costco only. I believe it is the same as the 335, except it comes with a cover and four thermometer iGrill probes, an exclusive package from Costco.
This one, though the in-store price is $130 below this:
https://www.costco.com/weber-genesis-ii-s-345-3-burner-gas-grill.product.100523600.html

Made some tri-tips over the weekend to break it in. They were fabulous, according to the tongue-witnesses. (Or maybe they’d always say that.)

Yesterday the WSM was used for grilling this carne asada.

Is there a consensus on pellet grills/smokers? Are they considered “cheating” in the BBQ world?

These Traegers look like you just dump in the pellets, set a temperature, and throw on some meat. There doesn’t seem to be as much “art” to it?

I think it’s only “cheating” if you claim to be some expert.
Most people should only be concerned with the taste of the finished product and not the process.

1 Like

I’d say some people look down on pellet smokers. “Gatekeeping” is pretty much always a silly activity though. Go with whatever you want.

3 Likes