Smoking and grilling

Finished building my grill yesterday. 5 hours, but I saved $50! So,… hmmm,… minimum wage…
It was a fun job, though.

You’ll be happy with your choice of grill for years.

Started marinating some big pork chops tonight for smoking tomorrow.

Smoked the chops to 125, then grilled until they hit 140

2 Likes

Happy Friday! Tonight I made Korean BBQ chicken and miso glazed eggplant.

Hmm, I think I hit send on that last night but it was still sitting in draft just now so I hit reply

It’s Friday and the weather is nice so I fired the smoker up as usual. Tacos al Pastor was the project this week.

3 Likes

I need to come visit you next Friday. Can you send me your address?

I have smoked meat for AO’ers before. No guests until we all get a COVID vaccination though.

so we all going to AI’s house for grilling after this pandemic fun is over?

I was driving most of the day yesterday and weather was a bit crappy, so I decided to get my smoking/grilling in today. Doing some chile relleno. Blistered the peppers over high heat, then got some char and smoke on the veggies for the ranchero sauce. Peeled, stuffed, and sauced the peppers, then threw them back on the smoker to finish.

It’s Friday and the weather is nice so time to smoke some meat! Today I did a picanha. First try at doing that cut myself, would make again

2 Likes

I love picanha, it’s such a flavorful cut. So beefy.

I have made top sirloin before, but without the fat cap. The way I decided to cook this, the fat cap turned out like bacon.

What do you cook that to, temp-wise? Looks like about 125 or so.

I pulled it off at 125. Could have pulled it off a couple degrees sooner IMO.

Nah, 125 is just about right. Did you sear it after reaching temperature? If so, did you allow the meat to cool a little before searing?

I did not sear after it hit 125.

I cooked this with no water pan/heat deflector in the smoker, so it was direct grilled but with some distance between the coals and meat. Grill temp was ~400. Cooked it fat cap side down until it hit 100 internal to get that fat rendered and crispy, then flipped it lean side down until it hit 125. Both sides had a nice crust.

Seemed to “cook” a little more than usual while resting, but was still nice and juicy with plenty of pink.

1 Like

It’s Friday and the weather is lovely so you know the grill is going. Made grilled shrimp tacos with avocado salsa