Sleep Number Bed or …?

I like to feel sheets before i buy them.

Anyway, I’m also in team “queen”. I’ve slept in king size beds, and it’s just wasted space. I don’t find it any more comfortable than the queen. Well, except i guess once i shared a bed with a friend i wasn’t super close with, and was glad for that vast expanse of bed. But I don’t feel awkward sleeping a foot away from my husband.

I slept on futons in Japan. I loved them, and it took me maybe half an hour to get used to it. And then i moved to a Western-style hotel. And the whole damn room was taken up by the bed. We had SO much more space with the traditional Japanese set up.

I liked it so much i considered modifying my bedroom. But it gets to be quite the project. And i have no idea how one can buy proper tatami mats in America. (Yeah, the internet. But do i trust it?) But tatami mats really smell nice.

2 Likes

bought my futons and tatami mats from amazon. Not sure if they still sell them though

We did a split King from Avocado, as an upgrade from our Temperpedic a few years ago.
Eventually got adjustable bases, which lead to twin xl fitted sheets.
But prior to the adjustable bases, we just used king fitted sheets over both mattresses

:grimacing:

:laughing:

We decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new tempurpedic last night. It was super comfy and just moving up to a queen should make a difference.

2 Likes

I am always amazed how many married couples with children don’t not have king beds. I would not have gotten enough sleep to be sane right now if we had not had a king bed all these years.

Yeah… We had a lot of different sleeping arrangements when the kids were small.

1 Like

Our first was incredibly restless in bed, even as an infant. We never slept with the kids. Except sometimes on vacation, and then nobody slept well.

(If our second had been first, it might have been different.)

We don’t let our kids sleep in our beds. Our youngest was doing it until he was about 18 months, then we bought a house and he suddenly stopped when we moved, and we realized how much better it was for everyone. Thankfully it wasn’t a tough transition.

It has been tempting to bring newborns into our bed (we have had three after our oldest), for sure, but I am glad we didn’t.

never shared a bed with our children, or even had them in the same room as us, at home

Letting the baby sleep with us was the only way we survived. Occasionally the kid will sleep with us when scared.

2 Likes

I remember going to my parents’ bed when I had extremely terrifying nightmares.

One of us used to lie down in my son’s bed, with him, and cuddle until he fell asleep. Then we’d get up again and do adult stuff in the evening. Like doing dishes. :wink:

I hear parents do this all the time. But when they get up they don’t do dishes. They drink lots and lots of alcohol.

1 Like

We transitioned at by rocking to sleep or staying in the kid’s room until asleep but then bringing to our bed for any nighttime waking. If there’s a nightmare before we go to bed, then one of us will lie down with the kid, but anything during the night we go with whatever will get everyone back to sleep with the least effort, especially on single parenting nights.

1 Like

We have a trundle bed under our kids’ bunk beds. That gets used a lot, but less so lately. Definitely a great thing for us, lets us be close without being in the same bed, and if we have to stay all night, everyone gets a pretty good sleep out of it.

We designed bunk beds with a small company (sadly no longer in business) that used solid wood instead of composite. Expensive, but not so much more expensive than buying bunk beds from a furniture store. One of the best purchases we have ever made, for sure, and the extra few hundred for the trundle has been so worth it. We designed it with slumber parties in mind, but it’s been used by us most often.

1 Like

My “rule” with kids is that we did whatever we needed to do so to maximize sleep in the household. This meant different things at different times.

Also I am the only mother I know who could sleep through her infant’s cries. Hubby would go get her and hand her to me to feed and then put her back to bed.

We had both children in the bed from about 1 month to about 12 months or so. My wife breast fed and it just made it easier for her. After starting real food they would actually sleep through the night and in their own bed.