Sleep Number Bed or …?

I have no opinion on sleep number.

For traditional mattresses people have a lot of different preferences on level of firmness, mattress materials, pillowtop vs not,…

While mattress stores and sales can feel like a scam, you might visit a store just to try out different types and levels of firmness. Once you narrow it down you can buy your type however you choose.

We’ve started to consider getting a new mattress. Queen is the right size for two but not so much for three.

JFG, the swinger!

Ditto.
Just get the King,
If either of you are tall (6ft+), get the California King. It’s longer.

So, bigger bedroom is required. Make it work!

1 Like

I always considered it to be southern

Even if you’re not tall, a California king is much easier to make than a standard king. Because it’s narrower. Wider than a queen, but narrower than a standard king. Harder to find sheets for though.

2 Likes

Blame @Bro

What, no Purplers in here?

We have the queen… I thought it was called Purple 2 but according to the website that doesn’t exist, so maybe Purple 3?

It’s good.

First: internet. You can find sheets. Perhaps you have not heard of the internet?
Second, I definitely agree on the making of the bed. The sheets are nearly square. I have found the trick: The tag (as long as they stay on) corner goes in the head-left corner or foot-right corner. Not sure if this is standard, but my own experiences mean it’s a global truth, right?

wife and I needed a new mattress during height of COVID, nothing was open and we didn’t want to try them out either.

So we went for a mattress we knew well and bought off the Marriot website

1 Like

Duxiana or GTFH

I like my feet to be uncovered while I sleep, so longer <> better for me.

Also it seems making the bed is extremely important to a lot of people. My wife cares about it as well. I don’t understand doing it and would probably never make it if not for the wife.

Same here. Not as if we are having tours come through our house every day.
However, when putting clean sheets on, the Eastern King’s sheet’s dimensions are only 4 inches different, nearly square.

I’m aware of it, yes.

But if you wander into Costco or Pottery Barn or Bed Bath & Beyond (which, don’t bother doing that, it’s crap these days) you will probably have a harder time finding California king sheets than other options.

I in no way meant to suggest that it would be impossible to find sheets for. (I once owned an extra long double bed… now that was impossible to find sheets for!) Just that you will have fewer options. Especially further east.

I find a queen size bed to be fine for 2 people.

2 Likes

As an example, according to the internet the number of choices I have for different sheets:

Local Walmart (in store)
standard king: 171
California king: 0

Walmart.com (shipped)
standard king: 15,524
California king: 10,086

Local Target (in store)
standard king: 38
California king: 0

Target.com (shipped)
standard king: 635
California king: 222

Yes, you can certainly get sheets, but maybe not today, maybe not the ones you like the best.

when we had a king bed, we looked at Sleep Number and Tempurpedic.

Ended up with Tempurpedic

Tempurpedic is one you definitely want to try for several nights before you commit.

My ex had a Tempurpedic and he loved it and I hated it with a burning hot passion. Hot being the operative word. I called it the temperaturepedic because it was so miserably hot. And before I hit perimenopause (ie when I was sleeping on the Tempurpedic) I was usually cold.

I can’t remotely begin to imagine having hot flashes in that bed. That would be horrible!

But… some people genuinely love them, so don’t take my word for it!

If you get the Breeze line or whatever it is called that helps immensely with the heat.