Shortages and stuff

Q-Tips arrived yesterday, two days early. We now have 2,000 ready for use. Should be set for a couple of years.

2 Likes

I simplified your quote

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

I’ll be a judge if you need volunteers.

2 Likes

Here’s the Mac and cheese recipe I’ve been making lately. I don’t remember where I found it but it’s great. Cheddar, Gruyere, and Parmesan.

Summary

Ingredients
16 oz elbow macaroni, cooked (or other tubular pasta)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
6 tbsp unsalted butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
2 cups Gruyere cheese shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
4 tbsp butter melted
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
1/4 tsp smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
Instructions
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside.Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce.
Melt butter in a deep saucepan, dutch oven, or stock pot.
Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes. Whisk in salt and pepper.
Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add another two cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. Sauce should be nice and thick.
Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce.
Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
In a small bowl, combine panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, melted butter and paprika. Sprinkle over the top and bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

Looks like Martha Stewart’s three-cheese recipe.

I definitely didn’t get it there, but it’s certainly possible someone else did a copy-pasta

2 Likes

ISWYDT.

1 Like

Now this is no laughing matter.

Hershey warns it won't be able to fully meet demand for Halloween candy?

1 Like

Why don’t they just raise prices to equilibiate quantity supplied and quantity demanded?

bad pr. not worth it

Y’all are crazy, KD is the shit, I don’t want real cheese, I want the deliciousness.

1 Like

GOUGING!!!

Not sure where to put this, but the other day I saw a $0.60 difference between regular and premium gas. $3.68/$4.28 I don’t normally pay attention to premium price, but that seems very big compared to normal.

40 cents is typical, but it varies a lot by station (one near my house is 80 cents!!!). I think I get about 10% better mpg on premium than I do regular, so I usually get premium, so at current prices it ends up being the cheaper option :slight_smile:

$0.40 seems to be the norm where I’m at as well, it was today when I gassed up my scooter. Which does take premium. But it gets about 95mpg so I don’t care.

I see 60, 70, & 80 cent differences in my neighborhood.

Salt Lake City light rail is having to cancel some train service and reduce service because of staff shortages.

:grimacing:

No idea about Ontario, but the wife of one of my BFFs is something like an LPN or a nurse’s assistant or something like that at a hospital in my hometown. She never knows her schedule more than one week in advance, making it nearly impossible to plan anything, even a haircut. She’s basically always on call and can’t ever decline to go in to work. They treat their staff horribly IMO.

Small wonder they have a hard time keeping people. If all of these shortages result in employers figuring out that they need to treat their employees better that’s a good thing IMO.

My first professional job post-teaching it was very much part of the corporate culture to treat your employees better than you’d treat your customers. If you take care of your employees then they will take care of your customers.

That employer was probably a bit too far to one extreme in that they let a few employees take advantage of them. But better that extreme than the other.