Shortages and stuff

I thought I had heard something about that, but don’t remember where…or when.

Here’s an article from May 2021 that says Canada should produce their own bees since the Big Bee supply industry from the U.S. was unreliable during the pandemic.
The pandemic that broke the honey bee supply chain – Alison McAfee (wordpress.com)

1 Like

This article may quell some fears about the mystery meats in hot dogs:

2 Likes

I read a book called The Beekeeper’s Lament some time ago. Pretty sure sources of honey have been declining for several years now, although I don’t remember the details. And local is best.

On netflix there is a documentary show about food items called Rotten that generally picks 1 food item per episode and then goes into detail about the terrible processes in the production of that food item

One of the episodes was about honey.
Some things from the honey episode:
Bees are being killed off by crop pesticides, making production more difficult.
China is a big honey supplier but there’s lots of chinese honey that is adulterated with other sugar syrups, notably made from rice. Evidently it’s harder to easiliy identify rice sugar tainted honey than cane -sugar tainted honey or corn syrup tainted honey.
The US won’t allow chinese honey imports any longer but imports from other countries are likely chinese honey that has traveled through another country.

The Rotten episode about garlic is kind of mind blowing.

In my area companies that spray for mosquitoes are growing in popularity. Unfortunately that also kills bees and other insects. Mosquitoes suck, but I think spraying is a bad idea.

Removing standing water and using traps is a good idea.

2 Likes

My understanding is that honey from China should be called ‘not honey’. We buy all our honey locally. Not that we buy much honey.

2 Likes

read an article about bees being driven on huge flatbed trucks from lousianna to california and back to polinate and make honey. just millions of tiny migrant workers. forget where that article was.

Stories about trucks of migrant workers usually come from fox news.

One of those trucks (not sure where it was coming from or going to but it was bees) crashed on I-80 just northeast of here a while back. It was a difficult situation for the victims and first responders because there were millions of unhappy bees.

1 Like

I’ve heard that local honey is very good for those with allergies.

2 Likes

All this talk of food has made me quite snacky…

Likely local and temporary - local liquor store said the corona vendor was OUT of corona. Man, in 20 minutes like 6 guys came in asking for corona and left w sad faces

1 Like

Jaskent will be sad to learn this

Costco hasn’t had Corona for a long time. Not sure why they’ve been out of margarita mix.

The alcohol area of Costco revolves the inventory according to what price they pay for a huge bulk of it.
They had freakin Green Spot Irish Whiskey the few months ago. I bought two. And now they don’t have it.

Internets says it’s partly the glass.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-07/culprit-in-mexico-beer-shortage-isn-t-just-supply-it-s-demand

Or, people could buy, you know, better beer. I can handle being thirsty, as a personal choice if that’s what it came down to.

they had modelo, but he told me corona drinkers do not drink modelo and vice versa. kind of like a miller/bud thing, but mexican beer style. i get it.

corona is drinkable and very light. not great, not terrible.

Back in the latter part of the 80’s, I worked in the warehouse for a swimming pool company during the summer when I was in college. Loading trucks, shipping and receiving, light manufacturing…

We did business with a company based out of Brownsville Tx. They’d periodically ship us a truckload of fiberglass slides for swimming pools. It was nasty business unloading that truck as you couldn’t use a forklift. The slides were all curvy, fragile, and irregular, and packed to the ceiling of the trailer. We had to climb around in tight spaces in that blazing hot trailer and unload them by hand one by one. They’d put some packing material between each slide to protect them. If we were gentle enough to preserve the packing material and send it back on the same trailer, they’d give us a treat. At the head of the trailer they’d have a few coolers packed full of iced Corona. Back then it was the absolute cheapest beer they could buy across the border, and it wasn’t widely available in my area. It cost pennies for them, much cheaper than the packing material we sent back to them. I was really surprised when basically around the same time it became really popular in the US and kind of expensive in local markets.

After a day wriggling around in a roasting hot semi trailer, that ice cold light beer sure tasted sweet though. Today I’d only order/buy a Corona if there were extremely limited options. It’s pretty tasteless. They put a lime in it for a reason back in the day, and it wasn’t because it was Mexico’s finest.

4 Likes

That’s not a showstopper for many. I’ve noticed that in a few different countries.

For sure. A light relatively tasteless lager is probably the world’s most popular beer style.

2 Likes

I drink Corona with lime.