Shortages and stuff

I read somewhere once that Costco’s pricing is basically 15% markup on all name brand items and 18% markup on Kirkland items. This pays for all their overhead and employees and they profit off the membership dues and credit card program.

I buy Q-tips at Costco. The pack lasts a long time so I don’t know if they’re currently out.

Yup. And they occasionally are discounted. When they are, we generally buy two (each of which is a three-pack).

Yes, I am the reason for the QTip shortage!

If only I had a Costco membership and one nearby. Oh well, Amazon order is due Wednesday.

I worked in a food plant for a couple of summers. They generally produced pickles, and in most cases, they’d run one type of pickle (e.g., kosher dill fresh pack) during a given shift, and at various points, stop the production line briefly (less than 15 min) to switch out the labels and change the printing program (for the case box). And the labels would be “brand name” as well as “generic” or “store-specific” labels.

3 Likes

dude…

I need you to opine on my milk thread…

My local likker store had cans of Corona. I don’t recall seeing bottles in the back cooler.

Why? I never worked anywhere close to dairy production (although the company that owned the plant I worked in did; but in a different location). I did see your thread and thought about my experience; but I wouldn’t assume that “the process” would be comparable (or analogous).

I worked in a salad plant between HS and college. There were some things that were proprietary to a customer. But I saw a lot of this where they’d make 80,000lb of potato salad and half of it went to KFC, and half of it got a Kroger label on it.

My brother-in-law said much the same when he worked at a cracker factory.

Could you get his expert opinion on milk labels?

2 Likes

I recall buying bourbon at Costco’s liquor store. Hubby wanted Knob Creek, but I couldn’t find it. I asked if they were out and the guy said yeah they were, but buy the Kirkland brand (for like $8 less). I said no, hubby really wanted Knob Creek and the guy was like “TRUST ME” so I did. Hubs said he could not tell the difference. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I will add that for certain items I really DO notice a difference though. Kraft mac & cheese really IS the cheesiest, for example.

Fixed that.

I bought Annie’s mac & cheese as a healthier choice for the kid but Kraft tastes waaaay better, so that’s what I make it f I’m eating it too. For some reason Kraft Easy Mac tastes different (not as good) than the box mac & cheese.

Agree. Annie’s is no bueno. Same with Easy Mac.

Mostly I just make mac & cheese from scratch. But if I’m going for the boxed stuff it’s gotta be Kraft. Preferably the 3 Cheese, but Original or White Cheddar are fine too.

My dad never let me eat cheese

Which is of course why I eat it all the time now

Boxed mac & cheese is meh. It’s been years since I bought any, but when i did I’d only buy Velveeta or Kraft. Homemade mac & cheese can be fantastic.

What if you could only stomach the gristle if it were covered in cheese?