Secret Hitler?

That date works for me.

NA, The fascist loving mod knows you’re a Hitler killer, so he’s trying to give the Fs a chance.

@NerdAlert: I’m still getting use to this new platform; I didn’t think about using the @ until I actually made the above list. It hit me that the players could respond.

However, we can use some good heckling.

And I’ll likely be able to set up a regular schedule of playing this game.

BTW, not having much luck on finding an archived copy of a SH game from the AO; so I might need to recreate the whole thing. :grimacing:

I get it, guys. I get it.

In if there is room

You and NerdAlert can heckle this go around. I have 10 players . . . and I still need to recreate the rules/logistics post.

@Doctor_Who, do you have a copy of the AO rules handy? I’ve tried to search for it in some web-scraping archives, but not success.

Sorry VA, I’ve got nothing and my search resulted in nothing. I had made copies of the board game directions and cards, but left them on the AO.

Colonel Smootie scraped a bunch of the AO. Not sure if he would be able to find it - or how to best to contact him…

I got one!

Summary

Let’s see if we can get this started.

First Run (Fascist win on policy)
The Liberals Try Again (Hitler elected Chancellor)
Fascism Unstoppable (Fascist win on policy)
The Revenge (Liberals won on a Hitler assassination; and VA gets his due)
The Nazi Strike Back (Fascist won on hung gov’t policy; some discussion around the Eva Braun role originated in this thread as well)

Springtime for Hitler (Fascist won; Eva introduced)

I would like to try to fine tune the role of Eva Braun; with the role only being present if there are an even number of players. I think we have enough evidence to say that the online version of this game is independent of the live version in terms of “balance”.

In the proposed rules, Items related to Eva are in a blue font to help with reviewing the proposed structure to this role. (Again, only in play if there are an even number of players.)

And I’ll also entertain playing with more than 10 players. If we get more than 10 signed up, I’ll clarify details on number of F vs. L (perhaps there could be more than 1 Hitler! But not this time.)

For now, if you’re interested, please indicate in this thread. I will start a new thread with the official rules for the game and players. For now, here is the set of (slightly modified) rules from the last game on the AO.

=========================================

The game can be played with anywhere from 5-10+ players.

Spoiler :

Basics

The setting is 1930s Germany. There are two teams, the fascists and the liberals. One of the fascists will be the Secret Hitler, which will be explained below. The teams will be enumerated as follows:

5 players: 3L, 1F+H
6 players: 4L*, 1F+H
7 players: 4L, 2F+H
8 players: 5L*, 2F+H
9 players: 5L, 3F+H
10 players, 6L*, 3F+H

11 players, 6L, 4F + H (etc.)

*One player will be Eva Braun (to be explained later).

The fascists win if 6 fascist policies are passed, or if Hitler is elected chancellor after 3 fascist policies are passed. The liberals win if 5 liberal policies are passed, or if Hitler is assassinated.

Before the game

You will be assigned one of three (or four) roles: Liberal, Fascists, or Hitler (or Eva). If you are Liberal, that will be all that you know. If you are Fascist, you will be told your fascist teammates as well as who Hitler is. If you are Hitler, unless there are only 5-6 players, you will NOT know who your fascist teammates are. If you are Eva, you will be told only that you are liberal, but your alignment may change after the first assassination.

You will be assigned a seat number as well. Seat 1 will be the first President, and the Presidency will be passed down the list one at a time. It will go back to seat 1 if it gets to the bottom of the list and the game isn’t over yet.

The Policy Deck

The policy deck will have 6 liberal policies and 11 fascist policies at the start of the game. If there is ever an action where there are not enough cards in the policy deck to complete that action, the leftover cards are discarded, the entire discard pile is shuffled, and then the action is taken in full. Therefore, if there are 2 cards left and we need to draw three, we do NOT draw the 2 remaining cards then shuffle, but the 2 cards go into the shuffle and 3 are drawn from the shuffled deck.

Phases of the Game

There are three phases of the game: The Election, The Legislative Session, and the Executive Power session.

1. The Election

Whoever is president may choose who to nominate as their chancellor. The floor is open for discussion among all players about who to nominate. Once the President decides who they want to nominate, they should post in the thread, in bold, I nominate as chancellor. Once that is posted, all players should vote ‘ja’ (yes) or ‘nein’ (no) via PM to me. I will publicly post the each players’ vote after all votes are received. If a majority of votes are ‘ja’, then the election passes and we will move on to the Legislative Session. If it fails (it does fail on a tie vote), then the Presidency passes on to the next player and another Election happens. If there are 3 straight elections with no successful election, then the top policy card of the policy card will be enacted without any further input from the players.

Any player that was in the prior government is not eligible to be the next chancellor. If there are 5 or fewer players remaining, then only the last chancellor is ineligible.

1. The Legislative Session

Once all the votes are in, I will open the legislative session by posting in the thread. Once the legislative session is open, the president and chancellor MAY NOT post in the thread until I have closed the legislative session by announcing the result . Other players may continue to have discussions.

Once the legislative session is open, I will PM the president the top three cards of the policy deck. The president will choose 1 to discard by reply to me only in PM. I will then PM the two remaining cards to the chancellor, who will choose which one to enact and which one to discard. The chancellor will PM me their choice, and I will close the legislative session in the thread by announcing if a liberal or fascist policy was passed. If a fascist policy was passed, we will then have the executive power phase, if necessary.

1. The Executive Power & Eva Braun

When fascist policies are passed, the government becomes more powerful. The CURRENT president (that is, the one that just passed the fascist policy) may get to use an executive power, as listed below.

One liberal, unbeknownst to anybody except the mod is designated EVA. EVA likes a good underdog, and is mean reverting. If the first assassination is of a plain Fascist, then EVA takes over for the Fascist. EVA is informed of who Hitler and the other plain Fascist is, and the plain Fascist is informed of EVA’s identity. Hitler is informed of EVA’s identity. Once EVA flips, she wins if the Fascists win. Before she flips, she wins if the Liberals win.

5-6 players

1st and 2nd fascist policy: No executive power;
3rd fascist policy: President will secretly be told what the next 3 policy cards are, Hitler may now win by being elected chancellor
4th fascist policy: The President must assassinate a player.
5th fascist policy: The President must assassinate a player. Veto power unlocked.

7-8 players

1st fascist policy: No executive power.
2nd fascist policy: The President must investigate the party of one of the players.
3rd fascist policy: The President calls a Special Election and selects who the next President will be. Hitler may now win by being elected chancellor.
5th fascist policy: The President must assassinate a player. Veto power unlocked.

9-10+ players

1st fascist policy: The President must investigate the party of one of the players.
2nd fascist policy: The President must investigate the party of one of the players.
3rd fascist policy: The President calls a Special Election and selects who the next President will be. Hitler may now win by being elected chancellor.

Explanations of Powers:

Investigation: The President should publicly post in the thread, in bold, I investigate . I will reply via PM if the player is Liberal or Fascist. If the investigated player is Hitler, you will only be told that they are Fascist, not that they are Hitler. If the investigated player is Eva, you will only be told that they are Liberal, not that they are Eva.

Special Election: The President selects the next President by posting in the thread, in bold, I choose to be the next president. After that single election, the Presidency goes back to where it would have been otherwise and continues on normally.

Assassination: The President should publicly post in the thread, in bold, I assassinate . The assassinated player should have no further part in the discussion. Assassinated players do not have their loyalty revealed unless they are Hitler in which case the liberals have won.

People may discuss openly in the thread about the best use of these powers, but ultimately, once the President posts the bold statement, it can not be taken back.

Veto Power: Here, the President and Chancellor have the opportunity to veto the agenda. If the President and Chancellor choose to veto, then all 3 cards are discarded and the presidency passes. The failed election counter does go up by 1 as well, bring it closer to a forced policy enactment.

After the Executive Power phase, if the game is not won, we go to the next election phase with the new President in power.

ALL GAME COMMUNICATION, UNLESS STATED IN THE RULES ABOVE, SHOULD BE IN THIS THREAD. THERE SHOULD BE NO GAME RELATED PM BETWEEN PLAYERS.

Players signed up
Werewolf
yankeetripper
Kenny
sam10gle
ImPrettyDumb
Dr Who
NerdAlert
ElDucky

grabbed it

HOT DOG!

Thanks DW. That will help in getting the game set up and started on Monday.

Now . . . if everyone could please PM @S.Morgenstern as a test for that functionality.

I’ll get things set up this weekend, including the game thread.

DW or NA are welcome to take my spot. Next week is still looking pretty busy for me.

DW can have it. I’m also pretty busy next week (but willing to play if needed).

Noted.

DW is now playing in Kenny’s stead.

Got to thinking . . . kind of weird to send someone “good luck on a positive result on your test” this time around . . .

Thanks Kenny and NA, it isn’t often that the second runner up makes the team.

Early bird gets the worm . . . the second mouse gets the cheese.

No?

The third wheel gets the Spiel