Secession

There is a difference between Dauphin Island and Gulf Shores due to the outflow of the Alabama river thru Mobile Bay.

Thanks. I am less familiar with the Mississippi coast or really anything between Mobile Bay and the Mississippi River but have been to Dauphin Island plus a few spots east and most of the Texas coast.

Annoyingly, there isn’t a clear scale at the source (Wikipedia). However, I believe that the color (FF,00,00) = 100% R, (00,00,FF) = 100% D, and a weighted average is used in between.

1 Like

At the risk of looking stupid… I don’t understand what this means.

I believe those are the standard Red/Green (not yellow)/Blue codes for every possible color.

“FF”? Not sure. Guessing it is the max color or something.

Again, how is the percentage in between 0 and 100 determined? Percentage of total number of county/state/national results over some amount of time? For one election only? 2020 or 2022?

Those were intended to be standard RGB hexadecimal codes for “red” and “blue”

Red/Green/Blue - in hexadecimal. It’s how computers know what colors to show.

(FF,00,00) is only red. (00,00,FF) is only blue. (80,00,80) would be halfway inbetween.

Unless I got that wrong…

How do you all know this? I’m feeling very ignorant at the moment. Is this common knowledge?

1 Like

I am a commoner. Therefore, it is common knowledge.
(That’s how that works, right?)

I’ve seen them before somewhere at some point in my life.
So, on the Excel wheel/hexagon of colors, each of those “standard” colors has three numbers associated with it. If you want something slightly different, you can input your own colors.
So, in Excel:

1. Click the “background” avatar.
  2. The “standard” tab show up as a hexagon.
  3. Choose the “custom” tab. The “Ruth Bader Ginsberg” (hah, it’s actually “RGB”) color model of all possible colors is shown. Click any pixel, and the three numbers will show up in the boxes below.

Those guys above are using the Hex/dec (16x16, = 256) representation shown in the Hex input/what-it-is box.

I’m not sure where I picked up that exactly.

I did take a “how do computers do stuff” class in college that went through things like storing colors. That’s probably where I got the “red/blue/green” with 256 levels for each.

I was probably just interested in hexadecimal stuff at one point.

It’s explained quite well in Harvard and Yale’s CS50 courses. I quite recommend them and they are up for free streaming. FF is hex for 254 or 255 decimal.

I won a free coffee today for knowing what IMF stands for. It’s probably about as common as that.

1 Like

Probably need to revisit colors with my kid. She keeps asking me crap like “what’s gray plus brown???”

Is that the International Monetary Fund, or something more obscure I’m not aware of?

1 Like

Exactly what I was going to ask… you beat me by 9 minutes.

Here for the thread drift.

1 Like

You win a free coffee!

1 Like

It’s the Moops!

1 Like

I feel like IMF is better known than the hexadecimal color stuff but perhaps that opinion is colored by own knowledge & lack thereof.

Also, where can I get a free coffee for knowing that IMF = International Monetary Fund?

I do not want to lose this deal.

At least… not if I can get a free iced coffee. You can keep your free hot coffee.