Seattle

I got the impression from the 1 game I went to that the west coast based Blue Jay fans were just happy for the 1 chance a year* they got to see their team play in person, win or lose. Every Canadian I met lived up to the reputation of being extremely kind and polite.

• correct me if I’m wrong, but this was actually the first chance Canadian fans had to see the Blue Jays play in Seattle since the pandemic

I haven’t been down to Seattle for the Jays-Mariners series since 2017 so was tempted to go down this weekend. Given the Jays’ performance I was glad I stayed in Vancouver. It is a fun weekend but accommodation and ticket prices get jacked up when Jays are in town.

And Victoria is actually a bit south of San Juan Island as it is well south of the 49th parallel. The US-Canada border gets a bit weird in this area.

Yeah I never quite understood why the border snakes around Vancouver Island but cuts off Point Roberts.

Neither do the folks in Point Roberts who can’t drive to anywhere else in the US without crossing the US/Canada border twice.

I think Victoria was considered an important city that London wasn’t willing to give up. Thus an exception was made to the 49th parallel for Vancouver Island.

(The exception was sloppily authored, leaving the San Juan Islands in dispute, but not Victoria.)

The 19th century of what would become British Columbia (BC) was very complicated by the competing interests of the British, the Americans and the rest of the new Canada. BC could easily have become part of the US as that was the natural option because of trading patterns.

As far as the funny border, it should be noted that Vancouver Island and mainland BC were two separate British colonies until their eventual merger. Vancouver Island boundaries were kept intact with the merger and the US border was the 49th parallel otherwise.

“Now, eventually, you do plan to have rain on your rain forest tour?”

Beautiful days here.

July is pretty dry in the Pacific Northwest. You are fortunate that our forest fire season is subdued this summer.

1 Like

Any recommendations?

Go see the Pike Market. :+1:

Market is worth it. If it’s still warm (if you’re here in the next 3 or so weeks, it should be), take the ferry to and from Bainbridge. Space Needle touristy but worth it, especially if it’s a clear day. (You can probably skip if it’s grey and low visibility) If you have a car, go out to Snoqualmie Falls. (I guess it’s technically served by the Metro bus system, but it would take all day and you’d be screwed if you missed a connection)