Seattle

Whidbey or San Juans?

A San Juan Island.
Might actually be THE San Juan Island.
Friday Harbor.

btw, CHOP isn’t there anymore. Don’t be too disappointed.

Jealous. I’ve been to Whidbey (beautiful) but not the San Juans.

Not sure if I understand Seattle. Someone explain me please.

Big city in the northwest corner of USA. Rains most of the time. Lots of trees. Islands off the coast and the Olympic peninsula is west of the city. Has a national park with much scenic beauty.

1 Like

Isn’t there something about coffee too?

Sure if you’re into that sort of thing. You can go downtown and they will throw fish at you too.

2 Likes

You explained Seattle. He asked you to “explain me”.

4 Likes

I don’t feel qualified to do that. Need years of training imo.

I hope you packed jeans, sweatshirts, and warm socks!

Friday Harbor is on San Juan Island. If you ever read the book Snow Falling on Cedars, it takes place on San Juan Island.

They renamed everything though. IIRC (and I read the book in 1997 or 1998 so I might not) they renamed San Juan Island as San Piedro Island and Friday Harbor was Amity Harbor.

There’s a map in the front of the book of San Juan Island but everything is renamed. Except on the mainland everything has the right name. Seattle is Seattle, Anacortes is Anacortes, Puyallup is Puyallup (some of the Japanese characters are detained at the Puyallup Fairgrounds en route to an internment camp further inland, which is historically accurate), and so on. But on San Juan Island everything is renamed for whatever reason.

Anyway, get some Dungeness crab while you’re there. It rivals Maine lobster as the most delicious thing to come out of the sea. Have fun!

Warm socks, eh?
Ok. I’ll see if i have anything longer than ankle, besides soccer-length

1 Like

Thank you for the info. Will get some crab.

2 Likes

Yes. There’s a reason that the coffee craze started in Seattle. It rains 9 months out of the year and people need a pick-me-up. They also don’t use umbrellas or alter their attire based on the outdoor temperature, so coffee serves as a regulator. Something to warm them up when they’re cold or (over ice) cool them down when they’re hot. Most Seattleites don’t appear to be aware of the existence of thermometers from what I observed in my time living there. It was very strange. To be fair, in Seattle:

75 = hot
65 = warm
55 = normal
45 = cool
35 = frigid

I poke fun, but in all sincerity I love it.

That reminds me of a story.

I grew up in the Puget Sound area, as did my sister. She moved to Houston after graduating from college. One day she went to the store, and while she was shopping, a weather system rolled in. When she walked out, everyone else was waiting under cover for the weather to pass. She was like “f that” and walked out to her car. She got soaked, of course.

Yeah it rains in the Seattle area but it rarely rains enough that you have to cower in a corner and wait for it to pass.

To put it yet another way. I have taken a 30-40 minute walk at lunchtime every day at work for over 15 years. Maybe 1 or 2 times a year it is rainy enough that I skip it.

Also, make sure you’re plenty early for your ferry. WSF is still running at reduced capacity because staffing issues and the island ferries have limited runs during normal times. Plan on getting there 2 hours early.

We have a reservation to get there.
But not back, yet.

Not sure if you are still up in our neck of the woods but the next few days should be the nicest weather of our “summer” so far this year.

It has been awesome so far. Saw Victoria from where we were.
Blue Jay fans must not be too happy.

Heading for Olympic national park.
With a niece right now, having dinner.

The bluest skies you ever seen…

1 Like