Seahawks Are Still For Real This Time

Clearly they were looking forward to Thursday against the 49ers, and didn’t get the Panthers there full attention.

Was watching red zone at a friend’s. Freakin nonstop action.
Still not that interesting.
Good to be with friends. All owners in a FFL.

Still think the Superbowl asperations are out the window. But I feel better about the 49ers playoff chances now. 538 has them with a 92% chance to win the division and 98% chance to make the playoffs. That’s with a -122 QB adjustment.

Yeah, the division is now the 49ers to lose.

Just looked at the standings. Geez, was it two seasons ago when we were joking about the “NFC Least”?

They are all 4 in playoff positions now, but the Seahawks are only a half a game back. So it’s doable, but I haven’t analyzed the schedules for the remaining games. Surely some of those NFC East teams are playing each other, meaning losses or ties are inevitable for teams ahead of the Hawks. It seems like if the Seahawks can manage to win out they’re certain to get in, but that’s admittedly a tall order.

From “NFL Football” thread, about two weeks ago:

Not sure if both can end up with six losses. The tie helped a lot.

Just looking to next week: the Giants are playing the Commanders. After the game they’ll either both be 7-5-2 (unlikely) or one team will be 8-5-1 and the other will be 7-6-1.

So if the Seahawks win they’ll be 8-6 which will probably put them into playoff position ahead of either the Giants or the Commanders.

I haven’t analyzed the tie-breaker rules if the Giants & Commaders are both 7-5-2 and the Seahawks are 8-6. (I assume that counts as a 3-way tie???) That would be 3 teams chasing 2 spots, so likely the Seahawks get in still, but I admittedly don’t know how to compute the tie-breakers so perhaps not.

Regardless, it’s extremely likely the Seahawks will be in playoff position next week IF they win.

For wild cards with teams from different divisions, it generally goes to NFC record.
SEA and WAS tied at 5-5 and 4-4-1, respectively. NYG at 3-5-1.

Breaking a tie between three or more teams

The following tiebreakers are applied in the event of a tie between three or more NFL teams for a Wild Card spot. If after any of the following steps are enacted, two teams remain tied, then the tiebreaker procedure reverts to step 1 of the two-club tiebreaker above.

1. Apply division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild Card participants.
  2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
  3. Best win percentage in games played within the conference.
  4. Best win percentage in common games, minimum of four.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in conference games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.
  12. Coin toss.

In the event of breaking ties to decide multiple Wild Card spots, each spot is assessed individually. For example, if four teams are tied on the same record to fill the three spots, the last team remaining in the initial tiebreaking procedure would be the fifth seed.

The remaining three teams would then be assessed without that team involved. Each time, the club remaining after the application of the tiebreaking procedures will fill the next highest available Wild Card seed.

So, the first wild-card spot would be determined (DAL), then the second wild-card spot would be determined, then the third.
A tie between SEA and NYG goes to SEA, based on head-to-head.
A tie between SEA and WAS (assumes a second tie or a SEA tie) goes to probably Strength of Victory.
So, let’s wait a few weeks.
SEA has to keep pace with one of those teams, and the other has to (will likely, due to upcoming game) slip.

So if we’re assuming Seahawks win next week their conference record is 6-5 so they’d have the best conference record and be the 2nd wildcard team. Then the third wildcard team would be either WAS or NYG depending on what happened in that game.

Seahawks gotta win next week!!!

Detroit might go 4-0 and crash your little party.

2 Likes

Yes, I in no means think it’s a lock that the Seahawks are going to the post-season. But if they go 4-0 over the last 4 games, then I think they are guaranteed to go because the teams ahead of them can’t all go 4-0.

Oh, and if the Lions & Seahawks both go 4-0 then the Seahawks are still ahead of the Lions.

So yeah, if they go 4-0 they are guaranteed to go to the post-season. But 4-0 is a tall order, especially considering that it sounds like they didn’t play well last week.

(I got so caught up in everything else I had going on Sunday that I forgot to even set the DVR to record the games I was interested in. :woman_facepalming:)

Sure if the Seahawks go 4-0 they are in. I don’t see them beating SF this week or KC next week but this is the NFL and stranger things have happened.

1 Like

Hopefully being at home helps against the 49ers, coupled with looking for redemption. :woman_shrugging:

CAR game was at home, and CAR ain’t all that good.
Need a few more injuries to SF, with not enough time to recover in the short week.

2 Likes

Well one has to hope. They seem to have a way of winning the games they’re expected to lose and losing the games they’re expected to win, so hopefully they can turn it on against the 49ers.

HEY!!!
:redcard:

Well depending on how Mr.Irrelevant heals, the Hawks may get Josh Johnson who seems like he’s been everybody’s back up QB at some point.

1 Like

Sorry, bro.
We need a win, and Chiefs and Jets won’t be pushovers, either.
(Rams will.)

I mean, do I have to start recording games which might switch to SEA in the 3rd Quarter?

1 Like