Sad thoughts

Not a text, Facebook messenger. She may have not had messenger installed back then. Or her settings may have changed. I know at some point I had some old messages show up like that—maybe after reinstalling or something.

ah, if it was a person where you had no friends in common, messenger often doesn’t alert you at all to such a message. it goes into a different location that you specifically have to look for. she probably just decided to look there recently. makes sense.

1 Like

“Hi, Ajstudies. I AM your cousin. It’s so cool you reached out to me! Since we are family, can I borrow a few bucks? $5,000 will do for now.”

I have one item in my FB messenger. My wife sent me something like 7 years ago.

1 Like

Yep. I haven’t found anyone in my extended family who has been in contact with her since her mother’s funeral, 10+ years ago.

I FOUND you! But I was gonna ask YOU for a loan.

lol

I don’t have Facebook messenger on my phone, and don’t look at Facebook on a laptop very often. I routinely get Facebook messenger messages a year after they are sent.

1 Like

I’m supposed to do some training with a new hire next week. New Hire was with owner’s Right-Hand Person for a couple days, and RHP thinks it might not work out. But Owner & RHP both think I might be a better trainer so they’re giving NH a last chance with me.

It’s a weird pressure to be under. Everyone would rather see NH succeed, but if it’s not going to work then they understandably don’t want NH not only not accomplishing much but also taking a productive person “offline” to answer questions and hold their hand though stuff. It’s a big investment to train up a new person.

I’ve trained lots of people in lots of jobs ranging from food service to actuarial, but never under the “make it work or they’re fired” mentality. I mean, I guess that’s always a possibility, but never one that seemed quite so imminent (to me).

1 Like

This happened to me. And it was awful. But the worst part was after the time was spent trying to make it work, I was told to pivot to “document why it hasn’t worked” and that was just terrible. I spent a lot of time also documenting their strengths - strengths that just weren’t needed for our team and work, but valuable attributes.

Fortunately, the company and the department were large enough that everyone was able to work to find a better fit for the person. But I had to really fight to get everyone to see that, because some people were squarely in the “cut them loose” camp from the start.

:worried:

We are not large enough to have other roles for NH. And a Former Employee who left over the summer asked to come back part-time during busy season, which will make it all the easier to can NH. (Suspicion being that FE might accomplish almost as much in 16 hours a week as NH would in 40… particularly after accounting for the time that FE won’t be taking the rest of us away from our work.)

1 Like

I did have something slightly similar (employee in a shape up or ship out situation) in the past but it was unbeknownst to me at the time. My team was originally supposed to have X employees but budget cuts resulted in a hiring freeze when we happened to have X-1. As we were getting pretty busy my boss mentioned that work for one of her other teams was slowing down and she could “loan” me an actuarial student from the other team for a month or so. Fantastic!

AS did great work with slightly less guidance than I had anticipated, and even caught a (minor) spreadsheet error that had gone unnoticed for several years. Boss asked me how it was going with AS. Great! Really? Yes, AS has been a godsend. Seriously???

Apparently they were on the verge of firing AS for poor performance on the other team, but no one had ever said anything to me which was fine since up until then it was none of my business. Did I want AS officially on my team? Absolutely! Sadly, AS had seen the writing on the wall and was already interviewing and put in two weeks notice right after this decision was made. I bet AS is doing great with the new employer and IMO my employer lost a good employee.

(I think the real problem was AS’s manager, who had been a great worker bee but I suspect gave insufficient instructions to inexperienced students.)

3 Likes

My daughter’s cat, who is critical to her emotional health, is drooling, looks like she’s in pain, and has been having trouble eating. My daughter took her to the vet today.

The cat has an inoperable tumor on her tongue, and the vet recommends putting her down today. That will happen as soon as my husband gets there, because my daughter didn’t want to do it alone.

:cry:

8 Likes

:cry:

:cry::crying_cat_face:

over the weekend a drunk driver ran over two kids in my town. older kid is in my daughter’s grade and died from his injuries. younger one (9th grade?) is in the hospital but stable. terrible news.

7 Likes

:cry::cry: so completely avoidable.

It is finished.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

5 Likes

That’s horrible. :cry:

I’m sorry for your loss.

Fuck cancer.

1 Like