Running thread

how can I help you run a marathon? I can’t even train for a half.

I ran a half marathon today and it was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever done. I think a full marathon would have been twice as dumb.

2 Likes

More than twice. I think many people can fake a half. The full is awful for the unprepared. Like 10+ of awful

2 Likes

I actually think the half-marathon is a good distance. It doesn’t take months of preparation like a marathon (although that depends on your starting point).

If I ever got into triathlons again, I would be chuffed if I could do a 70.3 (half-Ironman), which includes a half-marathon. The distances for a full Ironman are crazy and takes way too much time out of your week to train. In addition, some of the people I know who have done one have become ill for weeks afterwards.

I roomed with a guy from Australia once on the night before he competed in the double Ironman (held in Hawaii over three days). That was crazy stuff.

1 Like

It took me 7 months for the half. I started doing 5 minute runs and then added 10% per week. Since that’s exponential growth the mileage add on really ramped up in the last month. My longest run beforehand was 11 miles. I was originally going to just do 12 this week but weather conditions were going to be very unfavorable next week so I did it one week early.

I’ll just drop down to one hour for my long run and I think halfs going forward will maybe just take a month or two to train for at this point. I broke my foot last year which was why my starting point was so low.

1 Like

That sounds like an excellent program. It does take discipline to slowly increase mileage (although I do find this easier as I get older) but I believe it’s the best way to avoid injury. Hopefully the next half will be more enjoyable.

Even that’s insane. I’d love to do a half ironman but frankly I don’t think I’m physically able to anymore.

I basically did so this morning. Minimal running during covid, signed up a month ago but only had long runs of 5 and 8 miles. It was slow and rough but I made it through; my version of diving in the deep end to restart my fitness.

1 Like

Many people can shuffle for miles with little training. When I say shuffle, it’s a run at walking pace. It will never be strenuous and the time will be terrible. In my experience, if you’ve trained enough, your 1/2 marathon pace should be about 10-15% slower than your 5K pace (if you look at world records, it’s around 8.3% slower).

That’s me. I’ve been passed by speedwalkers once lol.
Doesn’t matter though. I’m racing me not them. And I’ve got a huge mass to move that far. And I’m not exactly built for speed.

I miss the 70.3 workouts. I never had so much fun exercising. Was training for the Full IM but got hurt. I don’t think I will do a full IM anymore, but it remains on my bucket list nonetheless.

How cold is too cold to be outside? Getting cold here.

No such thing as too cold, just insufficient/inappropriate clothing/layers.

Ok, I probably won’t go running below 0*F, but my point stands for the vast majority of the time in populated areas.

I have never run because it is too cold, so not sure. Never below about 28 here in CA, but ran in NY in 15 or so.

I have run outside at -15 to-20 Fahrenheit with light breezes.

You have to dress for it obviously. On those days only exposed skin was face that was below a hat and/or headband. Neck likely was covered some. If I had a beard, would finish w snotsicles and sweat exhaust frozen to the beard. (That happens below say, 10.)

Get good gear or don’t go out in that stuff. You can find really good gear pretty cheaply at a place like Sierra trading Co.

I don’t like the sensation of trying to breath deeply when it’s below 20 but I guess I could get used to it if it was like that for weeks on end.

30 isn’t too bad with clothing

haven’t read this whole thread, but if you hate running, why do it? i think exercises to build muscle is more important than cardio, and running is bad on joints.

It’s just my way of doing cardio in the shortest amount of time. I used to do biking but that takes like 2 hours vs 30 min of running.

1 Like

:confused: why would biking take longer than running?