Running thread

I get tired DRIVING 6.2 miles…

1 Like

If running sucks, why are you still running?

my friend ran a marathon so I’m going to do it too just to spite him

Marathons are hard. I’ve never been able to train for one without getting injured enough to have to drop down to a half. Halves are tough to train for, a full is a whole other level.

agree. hardest thing for training for a marathon is to do the appropriate prep and not get injured. i recover so poorly from everything now, i doubt I’ll ever do one again. (run 4.)

I could finish a half on very little prep, but it would hurt. I mostly don’t run races anymore though.

I’ve been doing the 10% rule, so far it’s been okay, not increasing more than 10% per week. Took around 6 months to get from running 5 minutes on my long run to 81 minutes which I did last Saturday. Gonna shoot for 90 minutes this weekend.

I’m scheduled to do a half by the beginning of November assuming I don’t get sick or injured.

I used to always get injured running over 10k, after years I’ve managed to push that up to about 25k, don’t think I’ll ever be a marathon guy.

It’s worse when you’re a big fat mofo. I tell my running buddy who;s half marathon time is an hour less than mine that it’d be a fair race if he threw his wife on his back and then raced me. Dude is still walking around in the same size of pants he had in high school.
Now I’m reminded that my foot has finally healed so I should probably get my butt back on the treadmill this weekend. Daughter wants to do a run in the spring with me.

I’m pretty average build, I was a cyclist and we have a reputation for being skinny but runners are like even skinnier, in the 110 lbs range for marathoners…

For me personally I would rather be slow and strong than skinny and fast, not really worth it to me to run that fast. I lift regularly and wouldn’t give that up.

Yup, your feet and knees will take a brunt of that weight.

I looked up “heaviest person to complete a marathon,” the result will surprise you. 400+ pounds. In 8 hours. So, a lot of walking.

I might not actually go for a marathon, it’ll get icy cold out here and like, not sure if I want to be outside for 4 hours.

I did a 10.28 mi run today

still feels absolutely awful the whole way and running has not gotten more enjoyable ever since I started

Do you monitor your heart-rate? I’ve been doing a mountain climb (with a 2000 foot altitude gain) once a week that takes just over 50 minutes and my average BPM is 155. I’ve been told that that is too high but it’s been 155 to 160 the last dozen or so times I’ve done it.

when I run, my HR is usually in the 150s, into low 160s. the charts say that is too high, but I just hate running slower than that. (if very hot out, I run a little slower but HR is higher in the heat)

if you feel ok and feel like you recover, then great IMO.

Thanks, Tommie that’s good to hear! I’ll keep going with that. I like to do a good workout (without overdoing it).

I guess it depends on what you’re doing. For a TT you go right under your lactate threshold which means you’ll be miserable and right under the verge of quitting the whole time.

It’s getting towards the end of the season for my 50-minute weekly uphill mountain goating. The quickest way up gets steep for the last bit and even though yesterday was a lovely sunny day, the last 8 minutes or so there was a lot of frost on the ground. This meant I was often slipping onto my hands and knees. At least the corgi was entertained. It is a north-facing ski slope after all, so very soon, the skiers will be happy.

I feel inspired:

You’re the meaning in my life
You’re the inspiration
You bring feeling to my life
You’re the inspiration
Wanna have you near me
I wanna have you hear me sayin’
No one needs you more than I need you…
(To help me run a Marathon)

1 Like

The Chicago Marathon??

I’m getting back into running, did a 6 mile run this weekend, average HR was 154.