RIP Zombie AO

I think most people here started off in the exams or careers sections on the AO. Looking for tips on passing exams and getting that first job.

This forum was able to get a lot of the experienced user base from the AO, but without a solid exams/EL hangout we may struggle to grow over time.

Eh, I think itā€™s going to be fine. As I noted, we get new registrations every day, and new posters every day. Itā€™s happening, we just need to temper our expectations that it will be overnight. In less than six months we canā€™t compete with a 20yo forum with almost 50,000 registered users.

Weā€™re trying to get the educational stuff out there. Iā€™ve reached out to the free textbook folks and offered some assistance, weā€™re doing some giveaways. And I have other ideas depending on what mrs. moneybags has to say about my spending. Iā€™m confident that eventually weā€™ll rebuild the exam forums.

If/when the site ever produces revenue itā€™s our plan to put whateverā€™s left after the blackjack and hookers into educational stuff. But thatā€™s also not there yet.

3 Likes

Do you also need a secretary?

1 Like

What I donā€™t miss is typing in the [img] and [url] when trying to post links and images. I also donā€™t miss JACKASS666Kent/Pollymath.

2 Likes

My issue were the pictures with * in the URL [like from medium, a few other websites]

idk, i found JAS to be more civil towards the end of the ao days and I liked having him around.

I also like being able to change avatars without having to worry about file size.

p.s. Iā€™m not a cat

6 Likes

LOL

I liked that Buru Buru had gigantic avatar size allotment though due to having been on the ao for 15 years.

I donā€™t know why people had different privileges - Iā€™m guessing it would have created bandwidth issues if everyone were allowed to post large avatars.

or just a little extra something to give to people for sticking around for years.

I alternated between being amused at his dickishness and wanting to throat punch him.

I miss looking at old random threads in NAT and the reef.

1 Like

I suspect that was because he was extremely close to being person-banned and he knew it.

Jas66Kent was permabanned and I donā€™t recall the history of his alts, but I know that a LOT of talk had centered around just cutting him off altogether.

He did make positive contributions, so we tolerated a lot more from him than we would have from someone else when it came to the person-ban decision.

In hindsight Iā€™m not sure that was the right call, and Iā€™m not sure that this place would make the same call.

oh yeah, Iā€™m sure he became more civil because he was down to his last alt and was told he was on a short leash and no new alts. But still, I liked civil JAS and thought he was way more interesting than when he was being a jerk.

not sure if what was the right call? tolerating him? Before his change to be more civil, possibly not, but I thought finally making him be civil was the right call over just kicking him off entirely.

We lot. :dolphin: :face_with_monocle: :tophat: :crown:

Heck, I woulda gone to a Happy Hour with him!!! :beers: :taco: :hamburger: :pizza: :hotdog:

jaskent was often a jackass, but I generally found him amusing. He was the poster child for Dunning Kruger. I stumbled across his real world name once, so I am sure others on the ao did too.

he was also an equal opportunity jackass. not like anyone was immune to it. i can respect that.

Definitely agree. It was nice to have a European actively posting on the board. He had insight on European issues, particularly Brexit, that I appreciated.

But I did not care for the majority of his posts.

I for one donā€™t consider a permanent ban at the AO necessarily reflective of oneā€™s personhood or value-add to the forum. YMMV.

Wear it like the badge of honor it is. Some a**h****s worked tirelessly for years for that prize and couldnā€™t quite pull it off.

1 Like