RIP thread

The hits keep coming for the Baseball Hall of Fame. Frank Robinson, MVP in AL & NL age 85.

And while not a Hall of Famer Dr. Bobby Brown died recently too. 4 time WS champ with NY Yankees and hear surgeon.

The best line I saw about him was when he proposed to his wife he told her “Tell your mom I’m in med school studying to be a cardiologist, tell your dad I play 3rd base for the New York Yankees.”

1 Like

That’s a pretty monumental line

possibly the most underrated of the truly great players

Robinson for sure. I only saw the tail end of his career when I was young and he was past his prime. I think he got overshadowed by Mays & Aaron.

Also overshadowed by bigger personalities.

Of the real old timers Jimmy Foxx might be the most underrated

Of more current times, time will tell, though so many stats, hard to fall through the cracks

G. Gordon Liddy died.

regarding testifying about Watergate: “Mr Liddy, do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?”

Liddy: “No”

His Watergate sentence was later commuted by Jimmy Carter, which later allowed Liddy to guest star on Miami Vice and MacGyver

So was he able allowed to guest star on Miami Vice and MacGyver because of his commuted sentence because he would have still been in prison, or was there another reason that the commutation granted him some privilege that not having his sentence commuted would have prevented him from guest starring?

RIP Prince Philip. I hope you were nicer than they portrayed you on The Crown.

Almost made it to 100 :frowning:

Aw, I thought he had gotten to 100.

RIP, Philip.

some fun pics here:

1 Like

fyi, I started a thread about him in political, if anyone has more to say, or nastier things to say, than belong in this generic RIP thread.

RIP DMX

So that’s where the “Ruff Ryders roll” thing came from.

Also never realized he went by “X” most of the time. “DM” means a much different thing in my social sphere.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-14/bernard-madoff-mastermind-of-giant-ponzi-scheme-dies-at-82

I’m not sure this obit belongs in this RIP thread. Do we have a BIH thread anywhere?

1 Like

No, and it’s probably not a great idea to attack him in this topic.

Feel free to create a BIH topic in general, or, perhaps better, a topic just for Madoff. Might be good to link to it from here.

Here ya go:

It belongs in the RIP-Off thread

Helen McCrory 52 - caner sucks