RIP thread

Sabine Schmitz

This was always a fun Top Gear clip.

Truer words were never spoken (or typewritten I guess).

1 Like

I posted about her yesterday, but I think that post got lost in the conductor discussion.

I see it now! We’ll just say I added the clip for giggles.

1 Like

Basketball legend Elgin Baylor age 86 checks out at the scorers table for the last time.

2 Likes

If we threw out all the music by people involved in improper behaviour, the racks at Sam Goody would be pretty bare.

Same with actors: Blockbuster wouldn’t have many titles.

What about books with a white man protagonist? They have to be racist and misogynistic. The shelves at B Dalton would be very dusty, indeed.

The other issue with Music and Movies is the offensive person, is not the only one involved. There can be hundreds of other people who will lose income if you boycott every Mel Gibson or Woody Allen film. You have the right to do so, but that is a “cancel culture” that makes no sense to me

As for the book comment, that makes no sense, an evil protagonist, isn’t an issue. Though portraying a race in an unfair negative light can be. But that is a slippery slope as well. People of a race can be portrayed as negative, but not a whole race.

Reminds me of a famous moment in musical history, when Beethoven insisted on being onstage to direct the premiere of his 9th symphony even though he was profoundly deaf. The orchestra and choir were instructed to ignore Beethoven and follow Umlauf, the real conductor.
From Wikipedia -
When the audience applauded—testimonies differ over whether at the end of the scherzo or symphony—Beethoven was several bars off and still conducting. Because of that, the contralto Caroline Unger walked over and turned Beethoven around to accept the audience’s cheers and applause. According to the critic for the Theater-Zeitung , “the public received the musical hero with the utmost respect and sympathy, listened to his wonderful, gigantic creations with the most absorbed attention and broke out in jubilant applause, often during sections, and repeatedly at the end of them.”
The audience acclaimed him through standing ovations five times; there were handkerchiefs in the air, hats, and raised hands, so that Beethoven, who could not hear the applause, could at least see the ovations.

RIP George Segal

Jessica Walter died. RIP.

10. “If I wanted to sit around all day going nowhere, I’d be a teacher!”

9. “Immigrants! That’s how they do, you know—just drive around listening to raps and shooting all the jobs.”

8. “Oh, like you’d recognize a vegetable that wasn’t wrapped in a Monte Cristo sandwich.”

7. “You’re not fit to be Queen of … name a place.”

6. “My third biggest fear: He brings home a whore and says, ‘We’re married!’ Oh, and the whore has bangs.”

5. “Don’t shoot, please! I just killed a man, and I think my water just broke … so, I could really, really use a drink.”

4. “But, if I did want a grandchild, I’d just scrape all your previous mishaps into a big pile and knit a onesie for it.”

3. “So, once again you’re left with the classic Irishman’s dilemma: Do I eat the potato now, or do I let it ferment so I can drink it later?”

2. “The same entitled crap as always: ‘I can’t make ends meet. I’m on food stamps. My child died because I couldn’t afford new bone marrow.’ Just me, me, me, me, me!”

1. “If I cared what you do on the weekend, I’d stick a shotgun in my mouth and pull the trigger with my toes.”

2,000 years old

Beverly Cleary. RIP :disappointed:

4 Likes

oh no! i recently looked her up and was shocked that she was still alive and also 104 years old. guess not anymore :cry:

2 Likes

She was Schrondinger’s author, and you just had to look in the internet box. It’s all your fault.

I was off GoA for a week. George Segal deserves a little bit of discussion.

I guess I am old enough to remember George Segal in a bunch of things. He was always such a “nice guy” character.

I remember the movie Carbon Copy with Denzel Washington where George and Denzel played Father/Son. It was a comedy that centered on the fact that you wouldn’t think Denzel had a father that looked like George Segal. It was quite a bit ahead of its time.

Younger people will remember him as Pops on the Goldbergs, and maybe the editor on Just Shoot Me. But back in the day (1970’s) he was a leading man type actor. I remember him showing up frequently on Johnny Carson, often with his banjo. He was a great actor with a self described “bland” lifestyle, so you never read about him in the papers or tabloids.

I totally missed that Larry McMurtry died

Very underrated caper movie - The Hot Rock.is one of my favorites and a lot of romantic comedies in the 70’s

I believe he was the publisher/owner of the magazine rather than the editor.

But he was great on that show.

I remember him from that and Retired at 35. I see he’s been in a TON of other stuff though. Wow!