RIP thread

TIL there’s still people living in an iron lung.

3 Likes

Not anymore. :rimshot:

3 Likes

Joe Lieberman, 82

1 Like

Aw I liked him (one of the only Democrats I can honestly say that about). imo, he was what Democrats should be – and also what Republicans should be.

RIP

5 Likes

Daniel Kahneman, Nobel-Winning Pioneer of Behavioral Economics, Dies at 90
https://www.wsj.com/finance/investing/daniel-kahneman-nobel-winning-pioneer-of-behavioral-economics-dies-at-90-56b8b5a9?mod=finance_lead_story

Kahneman and his friend Amos Tversky, who died in 1996, upended traditional economic assumptions that people consistently act rationally and with their self-interest at heart.

6 Likes

I guess it was a complication from a fall. Which made Jaspess think about her mom (who is starting to not get around as well, and has a walker now). :confused: I guess last year or so Jaspess found out from another relative that Jaspmil was occasionally falling and not telling her, so she made her choose between Life Alert bracelet or Apple Watch, aka “Life Alert for cool kids” (she chose the latter).

2 Likes

Went through a similar phase with my mom. She fell MANY times even after introducing the walker. She decided that she didn’t need to use it when in her own apartment. Fractured her neck - twice - in the same year!

She’s using a wheelchair now but still tries to get up and walk on her own. She’s living with my sister now, and we have cameras to monitor her. Also have care givers in every day.

Did I mention the epilepsy? And the dementia? Yeah, not great times for her and us now.

Would not be surprised at all if a fall takes her out permanently.

2 Likes

Louis Gossett Jr, 87

5 Likes

a favorite of mine, just in Color Purple

Two favorite movies Diggstown and The Skin Game

RIP

he was great in Officer and a Gentleman

4 Likes

Yeah, he won an Academy Award for that. (First African American to win “Best Supporting Actor”… Sidney Poitier had already won “Best Actor”, and Hattie McDaniel had already won “Best Supporting Actress”, of course. Halle Berry had yet to win “Best Actress”.)

Great actor, RIP Lou.

RIP Joe Flaherty - very scary

3 Likes

what did I miss

All of SCTV, I think.
You didn’t miss much though, IMO. SNL wannabe with canned laughter.

A character catch phrase.

1 Like

They had many great bits and characters.

2 Likes

I thought the bit was best done in The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley because in addition to it always having a Count Floyd segment, there was humor in how Ed Grimley, no matter where he was, would happen across a TV that he would turn, and it would always have a Count Floyd episode on.

1 Like

They had a good group of Canadian comics on SCTV (John Candy, Eugene Levy, Rick Moranis, Martin Short, Catherine O’Hara, Andrea Martin, etc.) but a lot of the content was lame. Their live Second City performances in the early 1970’s at the Old Firehall Theatre in downtown Toronto were much funnier.