RIP thread

RN

I will have you respect the RIP thread :smile:

1 Like

I like this theory instead…

https://twitter.com/tinytempest/status/1580184087717113861

One of my favorite headcanons is that Murder, She Wrote is actually a very popular holo-novel in the world of [#StarTrek![(https://twitter.com/hashtag/StarTrek?src=hashtag_click) and it was particularly beloved of the Voyager crew (after all, it was the only entertainment they had).

My evidence? Let’s go! #MurderSheHoloWrote

Clickie to see thread… esp to see Janeway

Hah. That’s pretty good.

Character actor Robbie Coltrane dies at 72, known to a generation of fans as Hagrid in the Harry Potter series.

3 Likes

That is so sad: only my age. My kids and grandkids will also be mourning this as Hagrid was so likeable.

RIP Robbie.

1 Like

I knew him from Blackadder’s Christmas Carol first, and Krull.

RIP.

“The Curse of The Astronaut” continues.

Good article.

1 Like

Jerry Lee Lewis, dead again (after incorrect earlier reports).

Yeah, it’s usually a matter of (a short) time if the actual person doesn’t release a statement themselves that they are alive.

RIP Julie Powell, who wrote a popular blog about cooking every recipe in Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking, volume 1”. She wrote a book about it, and the book was adapted into the movie “Julie and Julia”.

She also wrote a less popular book that touched on her marital problems and her apprenticeship at a butcher shop.

She died at 49 of a heart attack. She had Covid a couple months before, and was vaccinated, leading to speculations both that she died of long covid and that she died of vaccination.

So sad! I got interested in Julia Child bc of her (although I didn’t love Julie and Julia, just Julia herself).

I enjoyed the movie, but apparently her actual blog was extremely vulgar and Julia Child did NOT approve.

I don’t think that was Julia Child’s issue. The quotes I’ve seen suggest that Child was offended that she treated “cooking stuff from the cookbook” as challenging. Julia Child spent a huge amount of time trying to make her recipes clear and easy to follow.

I think there may have been some misunderstanding, as a lot of Julie’s struggles had to do with stuff like sourcing ingredients. But she hurt Julia’s pride.

Also, i learned that one of the on-line cooking sites i like, Spruce Eats, was inspired by Julie’s blog.

For whom? I have made her beef burg…burg… whatever and it was as hard to make as it is to spell. It was yummy though.

2 Likes

I mean… “easier than trying to follow a French cookbook, with metric measurements, written in the French language”? Sure, certainly.

“Making French cuisine more accessible to Americans”? Or put another way: “encouraging American housewives to try their hand at French cooking”? Again, certainly.

Easy? No.

1 Like

She helped redefine cookbooks to make complex cooking accessible. French cookbooks of her age weren’t just in French, they were vague. You had to already know a lot to use them at all. Like the technical challenges on the great British baking show that say, “make the custard sauce” or “cook until done”.

Anyway, it’s obviously harder than a lot of what’s available now. And that’s one of the reasons Julie’s blog was popular.

I would imagine a cookbook written in 1961 would be more difficult to cook from than one written today. But it was quite ground breaking for its time. And im sure there were a lot of skills the average “housewife” had then that the average person wanting to follow Julia’s recipes now doesn’t possess.

1 Like