RIP thread

RIP Andy Fletcher

https://twitter.com/depechemode/status/1529901182562340864?

I guess he found out if God was laughing or not.

4 Likes

RN… and RIP

Depeche Mode was always my favorite, and certainly the band I’ve seen most live.

One if my wife’s favorites as well.

Stu and I have been keeping up w their more recent stuff, too

Watched Norm’s special last night. Some jokes that were great, some that were not, but that’s typical Norm. 100% was very nice to enjoy some last bit of Norm’s brilliance in joke telling and expressiveness.

RIP Rompin’ Ronnie.

3 Likes

A lot of good Ronnie Hawkins stories out there. This was one of his best:

“In December, 1969, John Lennon and Yoko Ono stayed with Hawkins at his home in Mississauga and took a train to see Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau. In a televised interview Hawkins talked about illicit substances.

“The Prime Minister had his own stuff, I’m not kidding you,” Hawkins said. “And it was almost as good as John’s.”

Hawkins also hung out with Bill Clinton as they were both Arkansas good old boys.

1 Like

You know you thought about this:

Somebody blew up the Georgia Guidestones, which had been a Stonhenge-like new age touristy thing in the state. I think it sort of p.o.'d some overly religious types of people for being sort of new-age, quasi-religious-other-than-Christian type of thing.

Brian’s Song is still one of my favorite movies.

RIP.

2 Likes

Great quote from a timely movie:

(James Caan) “I’ve been thinking, Ella. Thinking a lot – and watching. It’s like people had a choice a long time ago between having all them nice things or freedom. Of course, they chose comfort.”
(Maud Adams) “But comfort is freedom. It always has been. The whole history of civilization is a struggle against poverty and need.”
(James Caan) “No. No – that’s not it. That’s never been it. Them privileges just buy us off.”

Timely quote from a great movie:

(James Caan) “I’ve been thinking, Ella. Thinking a lot – and watching. It’s like people had a choice a long time ago between having all them nice things or freedom. Of course, they chose comfort.”
(Maud Adams) “But comfort is freedom. It always has been. The whole history of civilization is a struggle against poverty and need.”
(James Caan) “No. No – that’s not it. That’s never been it. Them privileges just buy us off.”

RIP Jonathan (RIP James “Jimmy” Caan)

1 Like

I doubt he’s well-known enough to have his own thread, but RIP Shinzo Abe, former prime minister of Japan. Assassinated by gunshot in a country where gun violence is rare.

2 Likes

Uh, Abe is pretty well-known, but if his assassination gets its own thread, it would be in Political.

2 Likes

Always keep a steel eyeglass case and a 50-page speech in your jacket pocket.

Yes. This is a major story since he was the leader of a G7 country and certainly well known for Abenomics.

RIP Larry Storch

Made it to 99… pretty good!

Controversial former Mexican President Luis Echeverria.