RIP thread

It was probably painless, though. Something to be said for dying in your sleep.

Yes, 100%. I guess I meant it was horrible from the standpoint of it potentially being something that mightā€™ve been easily preventable if he got it checked out. I feel like thatā€™s what happened to the Oxyclean guy. He was on a plane with some turbulence, a suitcase fell on his head. He was actually quoted about what happened as saying ā€œIā€™ve got a hard headā€ or something like that. And then I feel like he died that evening. I may have details mixed up about that one. Certainly the Bob Saget death is a data point that people shouldnā€™t take head injuries lightly.

ETA: I looked up Billy Mays, the OxiClean guy. Speculation was it was related to head injury, but autopsy showed it was result of heart attack, resulting from hypertension (and possibly some cocaine)

Iā€™m not so certain it was preventable even if he was checked out. This is pretty much what happened to my spouseā€™s grandmother. She got up in the middle of the night, tripped and split her head open. Went to the ER in the morning, got some stiches, and was sent home. She fell asleep in the car on the way back home and just never woke up.

I wonder if these people were all on blood thinners.

My grandmother-in-law was not on blood thinners. It is called a subdural hematoma if you want to research it more.

1 Like

Some people think a subdural hematoma was related to Mozartā€™s death

Just to push this a little further off-topicā€¦

1 Like

It has been a while since the story was related to me, and I forget who exactly (maybe my childā€™s dentist?) told me, but this personā€™s young adult son hit their head low behind the ear, solidly, but not OMG run to the ER. For some reason, they decided (even before obvious symptoms) to get checked out later that day. Good thing they did, because a subdural hematoma had developed and the son likely wouldnā€™t have survived overnight. I kept that in mind during the multiple ER trips for kidsā€™ head injuries over the years so I wouldnā€™t grouse about the time and co-pay (OK, grouse less :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing that story, Steve. This is another data point that Iā€™m going to keep in mind. This is all very eye opening for me. I can see myself hitting my head and being very nonchalant about itā€¦ but not anymore.

my MIL banged her head. that led to a small brain bleed and a surgery or 2 to address. then, weeks later, threw a clot related to all the work they had to do and died like immediately.

banging your head can be bad for you. if you bump it hard enough, you def need someone around to keep an eye on you and for you to carefully monitor how you feel.

Part of his requiem was running through my head before I saw this comment.

Just to push it furtherā€¦

Reminds me of Natasha Richardsonā€™s accident: hit her head taking a ski lesson on the bunny slope. She initially refused medical attention thinking it was nbd, and was brain dead not long after that. Wear a helmet skiing!

better yet ā€“ donā€™t go skiing!

Ivan Reitman - Producer / Director of many comedy classics

2 Likes

RIP PJ Oā€™Rourke

2 Likes

Itā€™s neat that Ivan was able to see his son pick up the mantle from him by making the new Ghostbusters movieā€¦ which I still somehow have not yet seen. But Iā€™ve heard good things.

1 Like

Reitman :canada: primarily remembered for Ghostbusters but he had a lot of great comedies including Animal House.

1 Like

but some great under-rated ones

Meatballs, Kindergarten Cop, Dave

and if including Animal House, need to include Up In The Air - didnā€™t direct, Produced

I really liked Twins when it came out - Schwarzenegger and de Vito at their peak.

1 Like

The Candy Bomber from WWII has died at age 101.

1 Like

RIP Arturo: