RIP thread

I was just being snarky. If we had a RIH thread, that’s where I would have put it.

The more I read about the guy, the more I like him. What is so bad about him that you want him to RIH?

He created a software package that makes it hard to use home computers. It took a lot of work to get it off my recently purchased windows box. Before I succeeded, it disabled my copy of Discord, and generally made it harder to use the computer. He did this to an awful lot of people.

Hmm, he hasn’t actually been involved with the company for decades. Maybe a lot of the viral behavior of the current software isn’t his fault. I withdraw my comment.

1 Like

It sucked when he was in charge, and whoever’s in charge now has seen no need to improve it. Just made it harder and harder to delete from a PC.

So since we’re already speaking ill of the dead: what do y’all do for virus protection instead of McAfee?

Nothing really, I mostly use Linux

1 Like

Join us.

I also avoid pressing the huge download button when looking for warez

but if it becomes too enticing sometimes I boot up a virtual machine or use 10 minute mail to see what happens

According to wikipedia, the company McAfee Associates was incorporated in 1992 and McAfee himself sold out completely in 1994.

I get that you may not like the product but are you really reeling from software designed in 1993 and 1994? Intel has owned McAfee Associates since 2010. So the product doesn’t play well with Discord, which wasn’t released until 2015. You blame the guy who left the company 27 years ago?

1 Like

I thin you want to ask Lucy that. I just hate the software and his name is on it.

He left the company in 1994. Yes his name is still on it, but he was a pioneer on realizing that the world NEEDED something called virus protection even before Al Gore invented the internet.

1 Like

Yeah, I should be directing my anger toward Intel, and now I know why it’s so difficult to get off my PC: Probably embedded in the hardware.
Wondering if we’ll get our tax money.
Funny (weird, not haha), though: “I’d rather die (i.e, live the rest of my life) in THIS prison than live (longer) the rest of my life in a US prison.”

There was a reddit thread on this guy. I knew he was eccentric, but based on what they said he’s been up to, it’s well beyond eccentric and more like both feet in bats*** crazy hedonism.

1 Like

yeah, you are right, it does seem like he was pretty cool.

1 Like

Well if he really did kill his neighbor then he can RIH, but if not I dislike him no more than your average tax cheating multimillionaire or billionaire if he was one.

1 Like

I don’t care enough to research all the things he’s allegedly involved with, but off the top of my head, I think there was sex trafficking, murder, tax evasion, and generally fleeing countries before he could be arrested. Lots of stuff with drugs but I can’t remember if drug smuggling was actually on the list, I feel like there was some involvement with a cartel in there at least.

I’m pretty sure my computer has Windows Defender. Otherwise, common sense.

1 Like

I used to use avast. Then, I read some article [red]by some guy named Guillaume Gatés[/red] that stated that the antivirus included with Windows is actually really good, and so I’ve been using that ever since…along with MBAM.

1 Like

Seconding MBAM if needed. Back in the heyday of viruses, especially with stuff like Kazaa and Limewire, this usually nuked anything necessary.

1 Like

The product has always been a special form of virus, and has always interfered with using the computer. I am pissed at the product today because it hurt me recently. And that wasn’t a copy of the 1994 product, it was a shiney new copy shipped with my shiney new laptop.

But yes, if you look at post 243, I acknowledged that he’s unlikely to be involved in that particular problem.

He does seem to have been accused of murder, sex trafficking, and tax evasion. He also seems to have addled his brain with drugs, and was paranoid and delusional when he was finally arrested. He’s an interesting character who led a colorful life, but I’m not going to mourn his death.

1 Like

Yeah, windows defender seems to be reasonably good these days.

Also, this