RIP Thread - Pet Edition

RIP Oreo, beloved family cat for ~20 years

10 Likes

Our beloved dog Kramer passed away on Sunday - we think he was 15. My wife adopted him 12 years ago. He was a chiweenie (chihuahua-dachshund mix), and true to both breeds he was very high-strung and territorial. Often when I went to kiss my wife while she was still in bed, he would “guard” her, as he would “guard” the home when people walked by or a lawnmower was nearby. But he had a sweet side, which came out when he would jump on people’s laps. He established himself as the Alpha in relation to his brother Cooper - often came out during feeding time and when the dogs wrestled. But he would also groom Cooper’s ears, and the two dogs often hung out and cuddled in bed.

The last year was tough, with heart problems and arthritis, so it was a relief that he went peacefully and we didn’t need to put him down.

8 Likes

RIP Kramer.

1 Like

No first name??

Funny story, the adoption agency named him Cosmo, but my wife picked Kramer after a bookstore she enjoyed near her hometown. She denies that Seinfeld had anything to do with the name.

2 Likes

What about when he barged through the door, into the room, sliding to a stop?

2 Likes

If he were bigger than 12 pounds, I’m sure he would have done something like it. Instead he scratched and whined until we let him in.

1 Like

Wife might be right on this. Just checking all the possibilities.
Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Seabass is in kidney failure. Palliative meds administered at vet to give us a couple more days with him at home, then in home euthanasia. Probably the best cat we’ve ever had. With us for 15+ years.

His brother from same litter is doing fine.

The non-monetary cost of pet ownership is high.

4 Likes

My little buddy. Looks like it’ll happen Wednesday.

10 Likes

So sorry. Such a cutie.

1 Like

RIP Seabass. We moved it up a day, little buddy was ready to go.

In-home service is def the way to do this.

7 Likes

RIP :cry:

Sorry for your loss.

A former co-worker told me they would never get another dog due to not getting over the loss of their last pup.

I’ve been through the grieving process multiple times with pets and it’s tough. However, pets add a lot of fun to my life and I think I’ll always want animal buddies around.

My 2 cats will be 13 soon. They are still thriving, but I know they are getting up there in age.

2 Likes

Thanks y’all.

Don’t know what we’ll do once his brother is gone too. Will probably get another pet at some point after than, but it’ll need to be an adult animal adoption - don’t want the pet to outlive us and be something for others to deal with!

It’d be nice to have a break. Give us more freedom for extended travel.

Biggest reason Mrs. VA and I haven’t taken on another pet.

that’s my wife. we have a blanket with our passed dog’s face on it and she can’t even fold it with the face side visible. it was 2 years ago that we lost him.

1 Like

She may feel differently in a couple more years.