RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Agree but we have been trying to do that for years with little success for “O Canada”

I bet the British professor took great pleasure in making the American students sing that!

1 Like

Note the lack of quotes.

1 Like

…and the American students took great pleasure in singing it very, very badly. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also the transition from a US President who dies in office to his or her successor must be quick without hiccups as the position has great power. In contrast, the British monarch’s power is largely symbolic.

1 Like

Earlier in the thread there was a link to a news article regarding the plans previously put in place for what happens in Britain after the demise of the Crown.

Here’s the analogue for Canada:

What? Did he think the British won the war?

I think the exercise was introduced with a statement along the lines of, “in recognition of the colonies rejecting the authority of the Crown, let us stand and sing ‘G-d Save the King’ one last time.”

It really was a good class, and I appreciated the different viewpoint brought by the professor, as well as his stereotypically dry British wit. I think it was one of my two favorite classes in college (right up there with the, essentially, “P&C 101” class in the otherwise life-focused actuarial program; I was in that class when Waco happened, and that day’s lecture began “let’s discuss why you don’t write unsprinklered frame buildings in protection class 10.”)

3 Likes

(you people)

More pictures

5 Likes

LOL

who are the gays behind these hats though

The Royal Gays

1 Like

Well, it seems Rachel Trevor-Morgan is the main milliner:

I loved her in the Naked Gun. She had a decent arm.

RIP

Long live the King

QE2 & Prince Philip

1 Like

In 2012? I was living there then, my mom came to visit for the jubilee also, accidentally.

1 Like

Yep! My mom & I met at Heathrow and had a two week mother-daughter trip, so I was also there with my mom!

1 Like

That was just a few weeks before one of my favorite QEII moments:

3 Likes

The end of an era. She was such a fixture of world politics, and she served so well. Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth.

2 Likes