Republicans Say the Darndest Things!

Stop using my name to raise money for Republicans.

Remember the fundraising “Summons” from the Cruz camp during the 2018 campaign? Apparently it met FEC guidelines.

I mean for real.

Alternatively she could have said her claims were targeted towards Trump supporters.

1 Like

New show on Fox News, an alternative late not comedy show for the right. It seems absolutely terrible and Gutfeld seems more angry than funny.

Maybe this stuff is hilarious to right wing nut jobs, but I can’t see it making it very long.

Haven’t they tried this in the past and it didn’t work then?

I’ll wait to see them dogpile him.

I stopped using Dogpile when Google started rising to prominence. I wonder if it still even exists?

When was their previous attempt?

Calling Seth Meyers obscure - yes, that’s why you’re going on about it.

Trying to even parse the joke, “It’s not about destroying statutes, it’s about anybody who thinks math is real.” Maybe because many [Confederate, obviously] statues were made back in Jim Crow and differences in time can be calculated? That’s my earnest best attempt to figure what the intent was and I’m missing the humor.

Bashing Zuckerberg - not original but totally fair. Late-nights do that all the time.

Yelling about cancel culture and Twitter… My cares are at negative levels.

“Their power is an illusion, their numbers are small”, so we’re going to amplify it and say how they’re terrible while also claiming that they want to create outrage because that’s the only way they can create clicks.

I literally didn’t know who this person is, and until scrolling back up to look at the link had already forgotten. Greg Gutzfield, Gutzfeld?

3/10, hit a couple good points and otherwise was pretty cringe. Right-wing comedians need to skewer actual weak spots. Left talks about Matt Gaetz being involved in a sex trafficking investigation. Right talks about Biden falling on stairs. Meh.

Catching up on this thread:

I gotta admit; I am not a scholar of Nazi symbols and wasn’t familiar with that one. If someone had come to me and showed me the stage design I probably would have said “cool design” out of sheer ignorance. It seems extremely unlikely that the person designing it just happened to stumble onto the exact design of a Nazi symbol though. Whether it was intended to make CPAC look bad to decent people or good to white supremacists is a question I couldn’t answer though.

The 10 Commandments doesn’t prohibit having statues. They prohibit worshipping them. Big difference. We are to worship God, not a statue.

Rush Limbaugh died making $85 million a year.

In the KJV (Exodus 20), at least, first is says not to “make” them, then it goes on to say not to “bow down to” or “serve” them.

Maybe it’s okay to “have” them if you didn’t “make” them yourself… :man_shrugging:

Gutfeld played the same “joke” where CNN guests call each other racist over and over again for each of its first three episodes. They have some really talented writers.

My Bible (NASB, which I think is supposed to be a pretty literal translation) uses the word “idol” which I think implies that it is an object that is specifically intended for worshipping.

To me that’s different from merely creating an interpretation that you have no intention of worshipping yourself or having anyone else worship. :woman_shrugging:

So whether you’re talking about a sculpture of Robert E Lee or Abraham Lincoln or Adam or Joan of Arc… I wouldn’t think anyone was literally worshipping them like they would worship God. Or if they are it’s an extreme minority and not what the sculptor probably intended.

Now, to me, the Catholics do get dangerously close to what I would consider worshipping crucifixes and statues of Mary. I asked a priest about this once and he had an explanation of why it wasn’t the way I was saying, but I don’t think I could do his answer justice. I was vaguely satisfied by it at the time. I’ll try to remember exactly what he said. I think this conversation happened in 2001, so it’s been a while.

You see, that’s funny, because racism no longer exists.

This is the Hebrew word. If you like stuff like this I highly recommend a Bible with a Greek & Hebrew dictionary in the back and reference numbers in the scripture. I really enjoy mine. When I bought it they only published them in New King James. I believe they have them in ESV now as well.

פסל (pesel)

This word comes from the root פסל (pasal) meaning “to carve” and is usually used in the context of carving out a statue. A pesel is a carved image, usually something that is worshiped.

Hebrew Words for "Image" | AHRC.

Fine… even using your word, few people literally worship statues of Robert E Lee or other confederates.

Well, the Jews, the Muslims, and the entire eastern Church interpret that line to discourage making statues of people…

That being said, i agree that no one worships at statues of confederate generals. Not so sure about DJT…

I was raised catholic, but I am pretty unreligious at this point. We had a big Jesus on the cross above the alter, and had statues representing the stations of the cross along the walls of the church. The statues were all whitewashed when I was in grade school but when the church was remodeled in the 90s they were all colorized. I never looked at any of it and thought I was praying to it, but instead it was a reminder if Jesus and him giving his life for us, and that is what was important to remember all the time. I can see that being weird if you were raised in a religion that emphasized false idols and had few statues.